Monday, August 15, 2016

The first holibob......

We have been away to Mallorca.
It was lovely.
Here are some things I learnt whilst I was there..........

Travelling at 'fuck its early o clock' just so that you get 'another day in' doesn't suit me...I tire easily and I'm not used to being up late any more. Back in the day it was sexndrugsnrocknroll but now it's more likely to be tea and a snack and bed by 11.
Being at an airport at midnight means there is no one in the duty free shop....which is eerie but lovely...although looking at all the lotions and potions and scents and makeup makes you feel very very old when you see yourself (your nearly 62 yrs old self) in the mirror.
Some photographers are absolutely amazing...the one who took the photos for our rented 'Mallorcan farmhouse' was able to make somewhere slightly more 'rustic' than we expected look really fabulous in the pictures.
He deserves an award. I'd like to insert one in him.
To be true the location (2 minutes outside Pollenca, yet surrounded by countryside) was really good and the garden and the pool were lovely..but the upstairs? mmmmmmm not so much. In fact as there was no air conditioning upstairs (which we had expected) we dragged our mattress downstairs and slept in the main room....on the floor.
Climbing up and down onto/off a mattress on the floor used to be sexy and fun when I was about a hundred years younger....now my knees and back just really have to be eased into the manoeuvre while I puff and sigh and struggle....
Climbing the Calvari steps used to take less time than it does now..we need to keep stopping to 'admire the view/breathe' these days.
Mosquitoes abso-bloody-love me.......when counting my bites and I reached twenty before I got to my right knee (my cankles were particularly tasty I think) I realised that all the sprays and oils and such were no barrier to the bastards.
My mister is not as fond of monasteries as I am.....and sometimes, just sometimes, his indifference is perceptible.
As there was a classical music festival on we coughed up and bought tickets for a late night concert in a convent cloister........I have discovered that I like Grieg...who knew?
When having your photo taken and you try to remember the tricks your sister told you about lifting your chin and dropping your shoulder and looking sideways at the camera, so that you might end up with a fairly ok shot of yourself, in the sun,  at the restaurant or port or marina, it is just wise to ignore your mister when he wonders if you 'are having a turn? are you ok?' because whatever happens, you will end up with the photo he has taken of you, where you see your knees in shorts (never again...dear Lord never again) and you weren't ready and you just look like the lumpy, bitten, red and white skinned, overweight mama that you really are....not the svelte and sexy mature lady you want to look like.
With a sky as clear as the one we had the stars were amazing...we even saw shooting stars!
I am very at home in Lidl these days.
The garden of our rented place had all kinds of gorgeousness growing in it....and the tomatoes there were far and away tastier than anything I buy here.
There was sunshine aplenty and we had a great time....and in two weeks we will do it again but this time in Puglia....any tips for the mozzie bites?
A small village church.

The concert........there were four of us there as we took our son and daughter in law.

The view from our farmhouse.

The almond tree ladder in the garden was really sweet...but wobbly....or that could have been me.........

12 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

We used to go a lot in the 60's, then I changed my allegiance to Ibiza, and more recently to the tiny isle of Formentera. Of the 3 islands I definitely prefer the latter. I've not visited Minorca.

sensibilia said...

We prefer the UK, but your holiday does sound lovely, especially as you were able to share it with son and daughter-in-law .... Several years behind you, ours are still at the "want to spend all holidays alone with their partner" stage ... and the clock is ticking by, don't want to be too old when (if) the time comes ...

Tom Stephenson said...

Tip for mozzie bites: Don't get bitten.

libby said...

Cro...I've never been to Ibiza, but believe it to be lovely.
S...yes we were lucky to have them there...with the baby bump too! although I suspect we won't holiday together again for some time. We love the UK too but sometimes you just need to be 'abroad' with sunshine and different views.
Tom....ah but Tom apparently I am sweet to eat.....

auntiegwen said...

I just hate photos of myself, himself just doesn't take any at all now xx enjoy Puglia

Nana Go-Go said...

I'm like that about pics of myself these days. I seem to get uglier, the older I get! Some women age gracefully, I'm on the disgracefully end of the spectrum! You should love Puglia.I found a nice 'foodie'holiday in the Sunday Telegraph mag at the weekend. It was to Avignon and surrounding area and you get to spend a day cooking with Rick Stein. The 3 grand for 8 days price tag totally kyboshed it for me, as much as I love Tricky Ricky! For midgies, they say that Avons Skin So Soft Spray lotion works. Might work on pesky mozzies and it goes without saying NEVER leave your Windows open come night time. ENJOY!

libby said...

AG....I'm just hoping to get one good one..just one.
Nana....I agree...3 grand for 8 days is just a little....er no. I did use the Avon...didn't work!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Ha-ha! A funny post. You should have a go at stand-up comedy. But who was this Grieg fellow you mentioned? I am guessing a buff Australian lifeguard. I hope "the mister" didn't notice you ogling Grieg.

libby said...

YP.......well the mister thought this Mendelssohn chap was better....

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Sorry. I didn't realise that the mister was that way inclined!

Pam said...

I sympathise re the bitey things. I too am apparently delicious. I met my husband around the church - badminton club, youth fellowship. I was 14 and he was 16. I asked him to my sixth year dance when I was 17. And that was it.

Trish Burgess said...

Years ago we had a cottage just outside Pollenca and it was a bit ropey too. Nice pool but not the best inside.
My husband always gets bitten - which is handy for me.
This post did make me laugh though - so much in I including Grieg and Lidl.