Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Disillusioned old bag who should move on? that would be me......

Today has been a long day.
For work purposes, on a training day, if you spend hours and hours in a room with people who have not been around as long as yourself it is wearying.....so very very wearying.
Yes I know I am old, yes I know I have been doing the job for far too long,
yes I know that I am yearning to retire.
I am tired.
I have heard it all before..the words sometimes change and may be in a different order
but 'stating the bleeding obvious' never alters.
I am good at my job.
That statement by the way is not me being big-headed....it is a recognised fact....and not just by me!
(Although I do blush to type it.....but this is my blog so I am allowing myself a small pat on the back).
Watching people have light bulb moments and feel enthusiastic used to be fun and entertaining...that person feeling motivated was me 30 years ago. It is not me now. So I keep quiet. I am worn down.
Worn down but never negligent, un-professional, uncaring, impolite or slapdash, I am able to hold my head high and acknowledge what I have learned over those years. Realistic is the term I prefer.
Experience often does count and I know that I can trust my judgement and am very, very rarely off kilter with regard to people ........I know the difference between shit and shinola  (film reference anyone?) .
So on days like today I keep quiet but oh how I have struggled ... and managed to not sigh in frustration everytime someone has said 'writ' instead of wrote and 'fink' instead of think..... AND YES I KNOW THAT IN THE LONG RUN IT MATTERS NOT, THAT ENGLISH IS A LIVING LANGUAGE ETC., BUT IT DRIVES ME UP THE WALL PEOPLE!!
It grates on my very last nerve.
I KNOW I am judgemental, unforgiving, old and not open minded..... I know.....but I am also bloody fed up.......

Written later.......
and now I can hear you all saying 'miserable old cow needs to get a life and not be so up herself'...........
but typing that was so cathartic.









22 comments:

She Means Well... said...

It's OK to let rip and release your frustrations rip every now and then - madness lies in swallowing it up.

And for the record, I feel you sister!

Hope tomorrow will find you feeling somewhat purged and a little more positive.

(Now go and do, read of watch something daft. You know what they say: "Silliness saves lives!")

K Ville said...

actually I'm in a similar frame of mind right now, so I had no issue reading it and was nodding away as I did.

And we both know "this too shall pass" :)

John Gray said...

Offering you a hug anda virtual gin and tonic x

Cro Magnon said...

There is nothing wrong in acknowledging your own plus-points. As for the language, I think you should correct them. It's quite possible that their education missed something, and they simply know no better. If I make a grammatical error, when speaking French, I am only too grateful if someone corrects me!

Moonboots said...

I just wrote a similar post, feels good doesn't it. I like the post and get it.

libby said...

Thank you so much everyone. After a sleep I don't feel quite so ggrrrrrr and your comments are so kind.x

Steve said...

Incorrect use of English bugs me too and I don't care whether it's out of true ignorance or just laziness; there's enough people around who speak and write it properly - all you have to do is learn from them!

Andy said...

I think I'm in the no-mans land between you and the Bright Young Things at the moment. I have just been in a meeting with a guy who's going places (I hope) and I quite regularly thought that there's hope for us all whilst there are still people who care about doing it right. I'd still like to retire though, thanks.

Marcheline said...

One of my favorite scenes from BBC's "Sherlock" is where Sherlock is sitting across from a prisoner who is trying to get him to take his case, and his grammar is awful. Sherlock refuses to listen to him until he speaks properly, and every time he says something improper, Sherlock turns his head away. I LOVE THAT! (Incidentally, the last line of the scene is lovely - the prisoner says, "If you don't help me, I'll get hung for sure!" Sherlock turns and says, "No, not at all. Hanged, yes!")

Nota Bene said...

January blews. U writted yr peece pritee gud I fink. Enyweigh, itll gett beturr wn the son shyns. Wee al get tyred sumtimes

About Last Weekend said...

Let it out! How many more years to retirement? I admire you for being fed up but never lapsing into laziness, that's usually what happens. A friend of mine who organises a lot of these training seminars says the latest thing for managers is to concentrate only on your best employees and forget about the hopeless ones, so you are being appreciated no doubt about that!

Nana Go-Go said...

You should coco - I had to make award-winning bleedin' marmalade today because my boss insisted on entering me into some competition that I haven't a hope in hell of winning!The stress!Also, I have a VERY big birthday coming up ....eek!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Thank you for feeling comfortable about sharing these honest work thoughts with your blog visitors. You should have tried some of those excruciating teacher training days that I had to endure! Once I simply sat at back and marked books. Nobody reprimanded me or commented and disregarding the circus show had zero impact on my ability to do the job. There's a lot of BS out there.

auntiegwen said...

I am more than happy to retire with you. I'm only a brooch and a Per Una cardie away from fully fledged grumpy old womanhood xx

Curry Queen said...

I feel your grumps and empathise completely!

Trish Burgess said...

This is just why blogs were invented. Hope you feel better now :-))

Isabelle said...

I too empathise. As a teacher, you find the same old ideas coming round twenty, thirty years later - the ones that were abandoned with scorn at the time but are now trumpeted as brilliant and original theories. I'm sure it's true of other jobs too. Gah.

libby said...

Thank you everyone...your kind words are much appreciated.

Fran said...

I know exactly how you felt that day! 'Writ' and 'wrote'. Oh, yes.

About Last Weekend said...

Just checking in - hope all good and you are staying dry...

Trish Burgess said...

Are you ok? How are the family? Come back soon x

Trish Burgess said...

Still worried about you.....