Thursday, March 24, 2016

Giving it a go....

A couple of weeks ago, my sister and I sat for a local artist and he did two quick charcoal portraits of us. My sister sat first and as I watched him work I was impressed with his skill.
Her portrait is lovely.
Mine? not so much........
When we got home and we had both stopped crying with laughter at mine, I showed it to the mister.
He remarked that he hadn't realised Arthur Mullard and I had been seperated at birth................
My Pa, when shown the portrait, asked 'Who is that?'
So I can only conclude that as all the other portraits were lovely, I am not the 'not too bad for an over 60, in candlelight and with a gauze over the lens, and drink taken'  average/alright looking woman I had been fooling myself into thinking  I was...........or the artist was ready for a break and needed to un-cramp his hands......but as it was a charitable event portrait sitting I had hoped he could have been a bit more charitable in his depiction of me (oh God maybe he was? how awful).
So...I gave it some thought and after deciding not to 'rip it up and throw it away' (my husbands solution) I went out and bought myself some charcoals and am now in the process of rubbing out my right eye/cheek/lip and I'm going to give it a go myself..........and Yes, I know I am not an artist and that it will not be easy but I quite fancy giving it a try.
This is my left eye....where do I start with the right?

9 comments:

Nota Bene said...

Oh dear, oh dear! May be he had exhausted his talent for the day! Artists are always re-interpreting the truth, so he's just gone too far this time...

Cro Magnon said...

I have had several portraits painted (painters painting other painters is quite common). Mostly I have simply accepted them, but one or two have given me nightmares. I said nothing.

libby said...

NB.....I am determined to see what I can do with the other eye...and I don't mean a patch!
Cro...wise words.

Blogoratti said...

That must have been quite an experience, ha. Warm Easter greetings!

Pam said...

I'm sure he was just having an off moment!

I have this awful shock whenever I look at myself in our London daughter's bathroom mirror, which is brightly lit from a window at the side. Our bathroom window is small and high up and I look about 40 in the mirror there, with tasteful indirect light. In hers, I look about 80... well, maybe 65, which is what I am. It's very depressing and I can't blame any artist for this...

Pam said...

Your eyebrow looks lovely, by the way!

libby said...

B..thank you.
Pam...oh to see ourselves as others see us.......

sensibilia said...

It's when I catch a glimpse of myself, say in a shop window, or the oven door, in side view, all hunched and bent over like an old lady. Which I am, of course, nearly 63, but don't want to be.

libby said...

S....they say that 60 is the new 40 so we really must sharpen up our acts I suspect!