Monday, August 24, 2015

Too good to be true.......

Y'see I was beguiled by tales of how quick and easy it was....how any old piece could be made to look wonderful...and all done so quickly too! with no preparation !.........yes I'm talking painting old wax furniture with chalk paint. When I mentioned it to the plumber who did the bathroom recently he pulled one of those faces and said 'oh yes ..chalk painted furniture....get an old table or chair..buy the paint and the wax....do the job...look at it................then put it on the bonfire'.
So I should have listened, but no I was determined to give it a go. There are 4 pine wardrobes in my spare room...all sorts of sizes and all in use but all that horrible piney colour. So as the spare room is more or less our dressing/ironing room now I thought I would make it look great (well better than it is now) by painting all the wardrobes. I imagined a peaceful light room with ordered wardrobes and a calm feel.
So far so ok.
 I had an idea of  what colour I wanted but when I looked at the paint choices I was flummoxed by 'cream/antique white/off white/chalk white/dying breath of poor little frozen baby seal...' and after that I then saw the price of the brushes etc., and almost had the vapours.....so I visited the cheap shop around the corner for a version of the paint and wax and brushes and therein maybe lies the problem.
I started on the smallest wardrobe and as I hate painting I made a deal with the mister.....I would iron all his shirts if he painted for me..deal done.
Two coats of paint and much muttering from the mister later we both agreed that 'maybe it will look better when it's dry/waxed?'
Well I've waxed it this morning and unless tinkerbell waves a magic wand full of fairy dust over it while I'm not looking it ain't great...
What I wanted was a pale painted wardobe with a decent finish......what I didn't want was a wardrobe so distressed it's almost suicidal.
Lesson learned.....decide what finish you want...use the proper tools.........or wait for bonfire night.

7 comments:

Gail Armstrong said...

No photo? I was also intrigued by the shade 'Dying breath of frozen baby seal'. To be honest Ive never actually considered painting furniture since painting my rattan glass topped bedside table pillar box red as a teenager.

Marcheline said...

We've done two pieces, and are very happy with them. I think the trick is to spend the money on real chalk paint, but use cheap brushes. If you're super industrious, you can actually make your own chalk paint (it's not hard, just time consuming). Also, don't spend money on "fancy" wax. Regular Minwax furniture wax works just fine.

libby said...

Hello Gail....welcome and thanks for stopping by. Oh yes those teenage years....I painted a room black because I thought it looked stylish...it didn't but you live and learn.
M..you're right..it was a false economy to buy the cheaper stuff...we'll see if I do any more upcycling.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

This chalk paint business is a modern fashion. My wife had a go with some too. Like all fashions it will pass. There's no substitute for tried and tested methods. The Mister could have just used some ordinary paint - primer followed by perhaps a satin paint finish. We live and learn.

Andy said...

I once saw a can of paint called Muddy Puddle in B&Q. Good name for an ageing bluesman, crap name for paint.

Betty the Wood Fairy said...

Hi there - I enjoy your posts because they are so honest and so I am very glad I read this one as I teeter from one year to the next on whether to annie sloan my 'hutch/dresser' (rubberwood) - I now know definitely don't is the answer. I hope you can find a way to rectify the distressing distress - some clever people do decoupage to hide all kinds of things, maybe that's an alternative - as long as it doesnt end up like a giant wallpapered wardrobe you'll be fine.

libby said...

YP...the one wardrobe I did looks ok...the two the mister did ...not so much!
Andy....you could make any diy job look great...
Betty..hello and welcome....well it was an 'itch I had to scratch' ..