Saturday, August 15, 2015

A bit of wet water won't stop us.......

Yesterday a friend and I went to the Shrewsbury Flower Show/Festival. I am a flower show virgin and now that I have been and had a splendid time I think of it as a smaller version of a combined Royal Show/Chelsea/Trelawnyd. There were all sorts of goodies to see and lots of lovely accents to hear....particularly Welsh and Shropshire and there were wellies and white suited older gentlemen with posh ties. Lots of cake and lots of flowers and all kinds of interesting stuff......this hat in the WI tent won first prize and it was absolutely beautiful....





and I was a very good girl and didn't touch it...which was what I was longing to do. I also wanted to pick up handfuls of the fabulous fruit



 but I suspected and alarm would go off somewhere and I would be strongarmed out of the marquee by two wiry but strong farming types in check shirts.......actually that might have been fun...ahem. So I was good and just oohed and aahed over the giant cabbages and the beautiful flowers and the bunting and the steam train and choir and the fabulous food and  had a really smashing day. I drove there on the motorway in rain that was torrential and quite made us wonder why we were carrying on to an outdoor event.....but as my friend said 'a bit of wet water won't stop us...we've got tickets and brollies and macs and I'm sure it's going to clear up later in the day...' and of course by the time we parked we were down to a drizzle only. Of course I bought a few things....some posh crackers and some allium bulbs and had to have this gorgeous hydrangea......
I really do hope I get to go there again next year....and I really do hope I don't kill the hydrangea.

6 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

Ah, the Shrewsbury Show.... I've been several times. Did you know that if you dry and smoke Hydrangea flowers it has the same effect as Cannabis. I'm not recommending it, of course.

Helsie said...

Absolutely love that hat!

sensibilia said...

That all sounds such fun!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

A flower show virgin? So that's what Sir Cecil Dudgeon-Lock, the soft fruit judge was doing under the tablecloth! No wonder he surfaced looking as if he'd just stepped out an industrial-sized tumble dryer Don't worry - I shan't tell The Mister.

Gail Armstrong said...

Hi, Just followed you from 2 teens blog. Had a read of a few of your posts and loved them so will be loitering around on here from now on as I up my blogging and start collecting followers of my own again after a couple of years in the wilderness.
Gail

Marcheline said...

Ooooh, that HAT!!! Golly, it's gorgeous.

"Hydrangea" means "water vessel". Put it in good soil, keep it well watered (though your climate probably takes care of that well enough) and you should be all right.

Strong men in checked shirts? Sounds yummy! Rather have that than posh crackers...

Every time I hear "flower show" I think of that video of Benedict Cumberbatch taking his mum to the big flower show. I could just pinch a piece out of that man.