Monday, October 20, 2014

Unaccustomed as he was.........he went hungry....

Pa made me smile today.
He asked me when I was off to Paris for the weekend.
On Friday I said...on the Eurostar.

He thought for a minute and said 'well just to let you know.......you won't get a decent breakfast there'
Why? said I....
He laughed to himself and said 'well last time I went, after I'd had a cup of coffee - not tea mind you but coffee - and some sort of roll, I was waiting for my breakfast......and I waited and waited and waited...until the dining room was almost empty, and someone told me that there was no proper breakfast.....imagine that....apparently what you get there is continental'.....

The 'last time he went there' was nearly 60 years ago.......a young northern married man who had never been abroad before and was with a Church group taking his young daughter to Lourdes.




8 comments:

auntiegwen said...

Enjoy Paris, much envy from the Chandler household xx

Helsie said...

Bless him !

Cro Magnon said...

Nothing much has changed. Bloody coffee and a flakey roll. You'll be pushed to find bacon and eggs. Have fun!

Trish Burgess said...

What a lovely memory. Can't beat a decent croissant though.

Have fun in Paris. We are off to Amsterdam.

John Gray said...

I remember my " first" continental breakfast
How shocked I was

Nota Bene said...

Excellent! Those Johnny foreigners...bet they don't tuck their sheets in either..
Enjoy

About Last Weekend said...

Oh I love your Ma and Pa stories.
Well consider yourself forewarned Missus

Marcheline said...

Aww, he's sweet!

Your story reminds me of one of the episodes of BBC's "Sherlock". Sherlock is deducing a client's entire life, as usual, and mentions that he had a disappointing breakfast on the train on the way over.

The client asks "how did you know it was disappointing?" - Sherlock answers "Is there any other kind on a train?"