Monday, October 13, 2014

Time for tweed and tights.......

When dressing each morning now, for me,  it seems that we have shifted into that season of 'crikey I need a cardi' and 'bare legs today? I don't think so'.....and the dresses and t-shirts are being ignored in favour of something more substantial to cover my pale, slim, firm young limbs. Oh hang on....as much as I wanted to type that description of my body I must confess it may not be quite correct......exactly. I cannot tell a lie (well that isn't exactly right either...) but I'm not a size 12 anymore.
I know! who knew?......but the size 12 boat has sailed.....to be replaced by a solid ocean going heavy freight boat.....substantial and work ready but not overly a joy to behold. The sky may look like this......
so you could be fooled into thinking that the weather was bright breezy and warm.....
but trust me, when dressing,  the time for layering is upon us. Ladies am I right? So I was very happy to spot this beauty in a charity shop........


A  Boden Moon Tweed skirt in Autumny colours.

I'm thinking of wearing this sweet thing with a cashmere cardie,
 boots and I just can't decide what colour tights......
My daughter said that perhaps wearing flat shoes with the whole shebang was not the way to go.
I thought it might look chic but then an image of Margaret Rutherford (lovely lady that she was) flashed into my mind and my cankles need the kindness of knee length boots.

Earlier this year I had imagined that I would approach my 60th with a diet so that the day itself would be fireworks and fizz and me being smug about having reached the big Six Oh without being huge......shallow? me? oh yes.......but don't judge me please...we all have our funny little ideas....and anyhoo
 there was a problem with my plan......Aldi.......yes the purveyor of fruit and veg and chainsaws.
 This otherwise fabulous shop sells cheap chocolate with nuts in it that is just heaven on a stick to eat....and so I do......every night.....and have done for months............
and really? who cares?  As the days shorten and the temperature changes I love the fact that Autumn is the time to hunker down, eat up, and cherish comfort.......bring on the woodsmoke in the air smell and the walks in the crisp frost, followed by plenty of comfort food and I'm a happy gal.
Time to bring out the slow cooker I think.........

10 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Tweed and tights? All you need is a cane and a stern expression and you will become the new Miss Trunchbull! My fantasy woman! Ouch!

Trish Burgess said...

Ooh that is a good find. I have a couple of tweedy type skirts, I did experiment with coloured tights but reverted back to black as I thought I looked weird.
May have to investigate the Aldi chocolate...

About Last Weekend said...

Love those kinds of skirts with sweaters or cardies and boots - you daughter is spot on with the boot suggestion, I reckon. How do they wear it in the Boden photo? I think you could try any of the colors in the skirt re tights, take it along with the boots to a hosiery place and hold it up and see what you think.

Cro Magnon said...

And don't forget the sporran, and caber over your shoulder.

Yes, I'm twixt longs and shorts. Longs first thing, then back to shorts when the sun does its job.

K Ville said...

Picture the future, a slightly worn wingback chair, close to the fire as you wobble a tea cup close to your lips and consider these heady days. Are you thinking 'gosh, I wish I'd been a bit more austere, wish I hadn't had done all those nice treat me thins that made me happy, wish I'd been harder on myself and struggle through chocolateless because now my body is a marvellous age defying temple' - NOPE! Eat, drink and be merry now for tomorrow comes much quicker than we like to think. I think the type of flat shoes make the difference between funky and frumpy. I rarely achieve the first!

Marcheline said...

I've always loved the idea of skirts, but just never managed to learn to live in them. Jeans are a must for me, with interesting things above and below to add flavor. Boots of all sorts, shirts and ties and scarves and beads and stuff... but always, always with jeans. I'm turning 48 this year and I see no change in wardrobe ahead. My mother keeps sending me "appropriate" clothing in the mail, which I laugh hysterically at and then take directly to the clothing donation box. Let someone else be appropriate! It's just not for me.

Nana Go-Go said...

I think Boden are getting their tartans mixed up with their tweeds. They really ought to know better. I can't even afford a cashmere jumper from the charity shop these days - they've hiked the prices up so much on the good gear (which used to mean something else entirely back in the '70's!lol). Anyhoot, enjoy wearing your Tartan Skirt and you could get away with thick black tights and ballerina pumps with it before the real boot weather arrives.

auntiegwen said...

I luff that chocolate too xxx We are busy this weekend but free Sat 1st Sun 2nd Nov and then 14 ?15 Nov free too xxxx

Isabelle said...

Enjoy that chocolate!

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Your chilly days are at the right time of the year. I'm wearing long-sleeved underwear, and boots (though not the skirt), and the smell of woodsmoke but it's early summer!