Monday, September 9, 2013

A new beginning......

My daughter started her first day at work in London today.
Her Summer Internship has now become a 'proper' job...HURRAY!!!
So after a nail biting few days of 'Am I leaving? am I staying?' and wondering and then a flurry of emails at the last moment she is working in London....now all she has to do is find somewhere to live....see how casually I said that? Easy peasy lemon squeezy eh?
Probably not.
She has been staying with her adorable cousin and now they want to find a little more space.....2 fashionable young girls sharing one double bed in a fairly small double room is ok for a short time...but now she wants to actually unpack her suitcase and find a space to call her own.....so either a two bedroom place and they can both live together or a one bedroom close to her cuz...who in truth is really more like a sister.
She knows the area she would like, and so is viewing lots of rooms over the next few days and oh my goodness....I have been looking at gumtree and spareroom with her and cannot believe how much money you have to pay to live in a tiny tiny space in that-there-London......well I can believe it because every now and then you could hear me yell 'how much'????????.................................
So a 'cosy' room costs an arm and a leg and a 'roomy' double means you have to promise your first born to them too....in a contract written in blood.......Ker-rikey.
Still.
She has graduated.
She has been offered employment.
She is a hard worker.
She loves London.
She has, to all intents and purposes, .......................left home.
This, dear reader, is the bit where you will have to imagine me looking around her bedroom and feeling a bit sad ...... but I am wearing my big girl pants and I know or hope that she will come back to visit often........and that just because she lives somewhere else now she MUST KNOW DEEP IN HER BONES  that she can always count on hot water/food/cats to play with/money from her Pa to spend/hugs from me, here in her family home, whenever, whenever, whenever she needs us.

13 comments:

Steve said...

When they fly the nest it always hurts... but the pull of the nest will always keep them returning.

John Gray said...

Good luck to her

K Ville said...

Also her 'pad' an become your weekend 'pad' - London baby! Enjoy :)

Cro Magnon said...

When I lived in London I don't think that rents were quite so high as today's equivalents. But everywhere is occupied, so people are managing to pay the price. I hope her search ends with success. I adore London.

Nota Bene said...

Whoop, whoop..she's doing well. She'll find a room soon enough, and then you'll be visiting, except when she decides to come home for a breath of fresh air...

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

She is extremely lucky! I know so many people in their mid twenties who are getting rejections to unpaid internships...You must be proud.

hausfrau said...

Congratulations on an employed daughter! Will she also let you kip on her floor when you pop into town to visit the highlife?

Marcheline said...

Congrats to her and strength to you!

About Last Weekend said...

Oh that is just so brilliant that she was offered a job through that internship. She obviously has her Mum's get up and go and likeability. All is sort of settled them, I guess what I've realised is you never stop worrying. I was shocked schocked at the prices in London! My sister bought a house in Peckham (yes Peckham) 14 years ago and now its worth seven times the amount!! Whaaa.

libby said...

Thankyou everyone....she is viewing lot of places this week and hopefully she will find a new 'home' soon. xx

Trish Burgess said...

Getting teary again reading this and Auntie Gwen's post the other day.
But let's think happy thoughts: wonderful news about the job and I'm sure the accommodation will sort itself out x

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Send a photo and I will see if my son will allow your lovely daughter to share his double bed with him. It overlooks the Arsenal ground. He's very clean, comes from good Yorkshire stock and has met Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys), Alice Cooper and the American sprinter Maurice Green and best bit of all - he doesn't snore!

Curry Queen said...

Ah you sure will miss her but letting her go so readily means she will always come home to you.