Wednesday, September 4, 2013

That time of year again......

Every week when I drive to Ma and Pa I pass this field.......and I stop the car and just take some time to stand and look at it in the quiet....... looking at it just makes me happy.....I have no idea why...it just seems to please me.                                                                                                                                         
Looking at wool and thinking that I can spend some time quietly crocheting also does the same thing. I am three quarters of the way through another blanket and seeing it come together as I do a little bit when I have time...such a solitary endeavour.......calms me.


Spending time mooching about in Charity shops and then seeing some odd little thing...like this childs lampshade.........which I didn't buy but which I think is really cute. I looked at it and took a quick photo of it....it was french and very old fashioned...and a lady bought it immediately after I put it down.
I have realised that the common link in these pleasures of mine is silence...peace...quietness.

I spend my working life talking to people.
The mister has to have a radio or a tv on at all times.
When I am alone I can spend a whole day with not a word being spoken...and that suits me fine.
I like being silent.
Thinking my own thoughts.
Being still.
So when there was discussion about this years office Christmas party.............in my head I thought about last year.....and I thought about what pleases me......and I thought I might just not go.

9 comments:

Trish Burgess said...

Oh not the Christmas party again. I remember the agonies of this last year. I agree with you. Just don't go and spend time doing things that make you happy.

Curry Queen said...

Sometimes, when I'm the only person at home, I have no TV on, no radio, just silence. And I sit and read and it's BLISS!

Cro Magnon said...

Christmas parties; when everyone is so artificially happy, gets drunk, kisses the boss, then spills sherry all over the Xerox. Wonderful. How could you not enjoy THAT?

Earnest Petrol said...

The health benefits of peace and quiet should not be underestimated...

K Ville said...

I never have music or tv on when im home alone. I like quiet too. I also always have an incredibly important engagement that always clashes with the works party, funny that.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I am also a big fan of quietness. I would like pub juke boxes to have the option of buying five minutes of silence so you don't have to suffer that gormless pop music they churn out.

auntiegwen said...

I was just thinking of having a Christmas party, you'd better come to mine!!! xxx

hausfrau said...

For reading I too prefer silence, but for housework and general around the housing I am an avid listener to Radio 4; for me the voices are the company.

Marcheline said...

Amen - don't go. I was in gales of laughter yesterday because my husband's boss basically forced him to attend an "employee appreciation" gathering that involved him driving three hours each way to sit in a room with twenty people and play games like "stack the paper cups into a pyramid" and "see how many rings you can pick up with chopsticks" and "balance dice on a popsicle stick held between your teeth". Ridiculous parties are ridiculous. Stay home and contemplate fields - light a candle and put up some pine boughs on the mantle. Don't go to ridiculous parties.