Sunday, June 9, 2013

Tat....and more tat.....and still I looked........

Yesterday morning bright and early, you would have found me walking around a local field full of car booters. My friend from work had wanted to go and had picked me up to share the fun.....................
There was a voice in my head saying 'why are you looking at other peoples tat when you have a garage full of the stuff to be sold at home?' ...but I ignored it and carried on.
It is so fascinating to see what people put out on their paste tables or blankets on the ground for you to rummage through. You don't think so? oh okay. Not that I did a great deal of rummaging. Annoyingly, just as we agreed a 'route' and started off I got the very early warning of an approaching migraine, and not wanting to spoil the morning for my friend, or throw up in a field, I took the ever-to-hand drug (dry, with no water...eeeuugh) donned my darkest sunglasses and carried on.....thank the sweet baby cheesus for pharmaceuticals.
Feeling slightly giddy, walking on a grassy field, dodging sweet wrappers and cigarette butts, I was not at my 'hunting treasure' best. To my mind, there was no treasure to be had, but I did pay £1 for this plate. Which is hideous. Which I don't need. Yet I couldn't walk away from it, given the sad end to our recent twitching experience.......

So here, balanced on the ironing board to enhance the viewing is my boot sale purchase.
Two robins.
Just call me sentimental and foolish.
Purchase complete, home and bed beckoned.
Treasure in hand.

9 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

Perfect for holding mince pies at Christmas.

sensibilia said...

Whenever I take a bag of tat to the charity shop, I always have a good look round to see whether there is anything that takes my fancy and buy it. I think of it as keeping the economy going (a constant round of buying and selling!) More to the point it gives me pleasure. Hope you recovered, few things more debilitating than migraine.

Nota Bene said...

I think your robins arrived in our garden....there was a bit of a battle this morning between a pair and the jackdaws as to who had first priority on the bird table...I agree with crow, perfect mince pie plate...

libby said...

Cro and NB.....mince pies it is then.
S...I agree, I take stuff in and then bring stuff out...the circle whirls around. As for the migraine, well thank you...but for the first time ever,I have had a terrible pain in the back of my head for the last two days.....I'm dosed up as I type!

sensibilia said...

Ouch! Sounds nasty. Maybe you should see the doctor.

Curry Queen said...

I always love the idea of a car boot or a jumble sale but when I get there, I get disheartened by all the tat on offer!

Marcheline said...

Here in NY, we always call it "going antiquing" - whether we're actually going to an antique shop, a thrift store, or a garage sale, it's still "antiquing", and it's the most fun you can have with almost no money! Since hubby and I have such different schedules, never the same days off, I spend a lot of my alone time browsing items from other peoples' pasts. Love it! Cute plate, by the way! I'm not sure what a "twitching experience" is or what it has to do with birds (robins?)... but I hope the plate cheers you up, in any case!

About Last Weekend said...

$1 of total happiness - cheap at ten-fifty times the price as my old Dad would say. I love those wee robins!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I have never felt the need to attend a car boot sale as all of our cars have come supplied with adequate boots. The robin plate deserves pride of place above your mantelpiece. It's folk art - to be celebrated with Midlands pride. Please don't apologise about it just get it on your wall where visitors can admire it.