Saturday, June 15, 2013

And the rain rain rain came down down down in rushing rising rivulets..........

One of our favourite scenes in the many Disney films we watched when the kids were small, was the one where piglet 'was unaware atop his chair' and was sailing along in a river of rain, bobbing around his furniture.
It has rained like that just recently.
Enough is enough now....I would appreciate dry warm conditions for a while...please?
There are things to be done, and one of the things I have to do today is move a mountain of dvd's into the garage......to sit alongside the mountain of videos....for the time being at least, until the rest of the family think it is ok to' let-go'.
Among the videos we have all the old favourite Disney films, Pinocchio and Junglebook and Dumbo and Beauty and the Beast ...... I have spent many happy hours watching them all, and always enjoyed a good blub watching the soppy scenes like the  'Baby mine, don't you cry' lullaby in Dumbo.....aaaaahhhh...
but we are running out of space in our little old home and so need to move things around, or at least get them closer to being given away.....one step at a time.
So 'sorting out' is going to be done today. Rooms, drawers, cupboards, and maybe even my handbag.....yesterday I thought 'why are the contents of this bag so 'old lady' now?'....I used to just have cigarettes and money stuffed in my jeans pockets (no mobile 'phones) back in my young and single days, and now I never leave home without painkillers, tissues, 'phone, lipsalve, sunglasses, pen etc., and I suspect that pretty soon I will look in my bag and find one of those see through plastic folding head scarf thingies, a lace hanky and 'smelling salts'............




11 comments:

sensibilia said...

We are obviously at the same stage in life. Undergoing major domestic clear out. I got rid of all the videos (same list as yours, and of course "Swiss Family Robinson", "The Secret Garden", "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe", "Aladdin" etc) - by giving them to the Salvation Army charity shop which still takes videos.

I didn't ask anyone else about that, but then moved on to adult Daughter One's bedroom; this time I did consult. I asked her to put things in
piles, "Keep",and "Chuck". ALmost everything turned up in the "Keep" pile.

Cro Magnon said...

Clearing out is far too complicated for me.... I just leave stuff well alone!

Curry Queen said...

We tend to stuff things in the garage but the roof leaks and it desperately needs clearing out....just can't face it!

About Last Weekend said...

How funny - my kids see rain so infrequently here my daughter loves it! I suppose it gives them an excuse to stay in and watch even more TV than usual!!!!But believe me there were 15 years of my life in London I always carried a brolly.

John Gray said...

I am with cro on this one

Trish Burgess said...

I read somewhere recently that you should save plastic shower caps and use them when travelling - by putting your shoes in them. Stops dirty heels marking clothes. I realise you were talking about those little rain hats but my mind jumped on a bit!

Marcheline said...

I'm with you... rainy days are for Getting Things Done. Of course, curling up on the couch with Benedict Cumberbatch (on DVD) is fairly high up on that list. 8-)

auntiegwen said...

I already have the rainmate :)xx

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Do you wear curlers at night with a hairnet? Most men find such accessories as sexy as nylon housecoats or mule slippers. Perhaps they have special catalogues for mature women. Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.

Isabelle said...

I don't want to sound smug but we've had lots of sunny dry weather in Edinburgh... . And my husband has been clearing out the garage. Oh dear! The stuff!

Jay said...

Oh goodness I recognise the handbag problem; but please don't buy the plastic folding headscarf thingy!!