Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Idle thoughts........

 Using a sand and cement ready made mortar type gunge to fill in the gaps of your old crazy paved patio, where the weeds keep coming through, sounds like an easy task. I imagined it would be like using a spatula to ice a cake. Wrong. Not an easy task at all really.....I keep thinking 'ah yes...just a little bit there' and then looking at it all and seeing lots of gaps and my spatula applied dollops do not look good....perhaps they will set and then weather in??

I was considering buying tickets for the England/Australia ODI at Edgbaston in September as a late birthday present for the mister.........but having just checked the prices I am seriously thinking again.......and I was also hoping to get tickets for Leonard Cohen in Birmingham for me but if I buy tickets for both then the coffers will be pretty empty for a while.....I wish money really did grow on a magic tree in the garden.

When my daughter and her cousin were little, they always said that once grown up they would share a flat in London and a flat in New York and a flat in Paris and......well you get the idea. As my daughter has now finished University she is looking for a job in London. Her cousin who is one year older, already lives and works there and so the hunt is on for my daughter to be able to work or intern there too. I so hope that she can find something and then the cousins, who are more like sisters really, can achieve their long held dream of being together in a flat in London and living the life they have talked about and laughed about and looked forward to for so many years. Please cross legs and eyes and fingers for her...thank you so much .

Lardy white legs really need to be attended to before they show themselves to the world in skirts don't you think? I have made a start and shaved them........

In my mind, the Robin family have moved upmarket to a better hedge and are practising flying and finding food and having a great time.

I watched 'Withnail and I' last night and must admit I didn't really enjoy it all that much.....sorry M! I last saw it years ago and had forgotten most of it, so gave it another go. I must really be getting old though, because I kept thinking 'ooh that cottage is lovely....if you just painted that wall and scrubbed that cupboard' etc., instead of paying much attention so perhaps I was distracted.

It is nearly two years since my friend at work found out about her husbands affair. In those two years she has bought a new house, lost weight, and run a half marathon. She is 'onwards and upwards' and although she is still married (he is living with the other woman in a house he has just bought) and still wearing her rings, she seems happy and active and is 'getting there'........but sometimes....just sometimes....I do worry for her....and I also think that finding a new man would be a good thing too, but I'm keeping that opinion to myself.

We are on a 'let's eat all the stuff from the freezer because it needs to be defrosted' thing at the moment. Truly though, stuff that you didn't label and is covered in ice doesn't look very appetizing, and I am being a bit naughty and throwing this and that away -please don't judge me....or tell the mister..........

My blogging friend AG is about to move house (you still are aren't you?) and I just know that when we get to see it I will want to come home and set fire to my place......their new place will be beautiful I'm sure. I'm itching to try living somewhere else for a while....does that make sense? In a mad moment of 'spring cleaning' I have had quotes for roman blinds for all the upstairs rooms and am now getting quotes for some painting and decorating. This is the stage in our life when we now think twice about doing things ourselves....paying someone else would be quicker and easier and we wouldn't have to get cross and tired and look like Mr Pastry up a ladder covered in wallpaper and paste.

When we were in Tallin having a splendid time, one of the things we did was visit the old KGB museum at the Hotel Viru, which was really interesting, and I was reminded that when I lived in Germany many years ago the lady I worked for was driving us home from somewhere and we chased a soviet vehicle......the word  soxmis comes to mind.....it was all very thrilling and espionage-y! and at the Hotel Viru we had cocktails called 'hammer and sickle' - champagne and vana tallin.........so so good......I quite fancy one now.....sigh.....


Well this is what happens if you sit down for a cup of tea and think that you will blog a little bit of nonsense.....idle thoughts....... I do apologise if you are still reading, this rambling really isn't going anywhere....still......a bit of mindlessness now and again does no harm does it?

14 comments:

sensibilia said...

My friend told me: "You do find a lot of energy when your husband leaves you." But she was sad and lonely and did find someone else after a lot of looking.

Hope your daughter gets a job in London. Another friend of mine has a daughter who graduated last summer and did find a job in London after about six months of looking. She was told she was successful "Because you found out about the company and showed you were really interested in what we do - other applicants just wanted a job - any job". Hope that is helpful tip, anyway.

Andy said...

I love these posts of yours, they ping about like a pinball and always go off on very interesting tangents. You should definitely come to see the new place soon, but I'll bet good money that if you offered AG a house swap she'd snap your hand off!

Curry Queen said...

Waaaah! Mr Pastry! Hahaha! Rofl!

Frances said...

I love your idle thoughts, and I too love Leonard Cohen. Always have!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

A lovely rambling post - just letting your thoughts spill out like a stream of consciousness. There's nothing wrong with that. Good to read because in a way its pointlessness is rather like life in general. It just burbles along.

Cro Magnon said...

My late father-in-law was at our embassy in Moscow, and had to deal with Stalin. So many people just went missing. If a Russian was seen talking to a foreigner, they simply disappeared. The KGB have a lot of answering to do.

libby said...

S...thank you.
A......are you in and moved etc., now?
CQ...a blast from the past eh?
F...go on...start a blog!
YP....thank you...I think of blogging as 'meditative me time'.
Cro....growing in the 60's I was aware that we were very lucky to live where we did....the soviet life seemed so very hard.

Nota Bene said...

You single-handedly stopped a Russian invasion...pretty impressive stuff!

Good luck to your daughter...I've crossed everything.

So glad that someone else doesn't enjoy Withnail and I...I thought I was the only one.

I'm awaiting a tortuous post from AG about the trials and tribulations her and Andy's move...I know it'll be a blockbuster!

Steve said...

Didn't enjoy Withnail & I?

I am in shock.

libby said...

NB..thank you. I also thought it was only me that didn't rate Withnail!
Steve....it was ok...but just ok.....

Marcheline said...

libby,

1. The thing about Withail is that it isn't what you see onscreen that makes the impact (except Uncle Monty's apartment, I do love that)... for me, it's the whole feeling like a bomb going off when two friends realize they're going in different directions, that things are not always going to be the same, that the lovely cameraderie changes when people's lives change. That, to me, is the whole point of Withnail... the funny bits and drinking are just so much sideshow. I think everyone who's ever had a friend has felt that pain, and it's always such a shock. Some, like Marwood, move on quickly and succeed. Others, like Withnail, wallow in the past and drown in their sorrow.

2. Your "Mr. Pastry" must be something like our "Pillsbury Doughboy". I'm guessing. Pudgy little white dude? The Pillsbury Doughboy has a baker's hat on, will have to Google Mr. Pastry and see what he looks like!

Trish Burgess said...

Never seen Withnail and I. Not sure if I've missed anything or not.
Am constantly throwing away unlabelled frosty things from the freezer. Don't feel bad about it.

libby said...

M...I do know what you mean, and in fact the end bits of the film when Withnail is congratulating his pal on finding work, while also being quite heartbroken, were the best bits I thought.
Trish....I don't eat a lot of meat so I don't really fancy the stuff in there (that has been put there by my 'loves meat' mister)..I tend to store boring things in the freezer.

auntiegwen said...

Oh dear God, the only thing in the new house is a blow up airbed and eleventy million scented candles as our new house is manky, full fat manky, due to copious amounts of hoovering it is considerably less manky than it was but still diet manky at present xx