Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Tradition.....

When I first started dating my husband, at our '1st Christmas', I gave him a Christmas card, and he didn't reciprocate. He will only 'do' cards under sufferance. I learned something about him then. He has a few odd little quirks, that over the years have embarrassed me or infuriated me but most I have found endearing...... 32 years later there are things that he does that drive me mad, and there are things that I do that drive him mad.....but mostly we both appreciate the whole person.  One of those little 'but I don't do that.....I don't see the point' things, that I now agree with,  is buying/sending shop bought greeting cards. So since they were tiny my kids have always made cards.....I have boxes of birthday and Christmas cards and drawings. My treasure. Stuff that I should really part with I suppose......but .....no...never gonna happen.
 My husband is not mean though......far from it. He is a very generous person and just always had an issue with 'over priced bits of cardboard'. He buys flowers for me, is always considerate and kind and if you cut him in half you would see 'gentleman' writ large through him just like a stick of rock. All those years ago, after Christmas, I put away the card I had given him, and then unpacked it and 'gave' it again the next year, and the next and the next. It made us both happy. So every year we get out 'our card' and up it goes.  Christmas traditions.......the turkey, the homemade trifle, the bucks fizz start to the day, and putting up of our card. Continuity and love celebrated yearly in the placement of one tiny bit of cardboard.

5 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

I think that is a WONDERFUL idea. I don't do cards either!

Marcheline said...

Well, we are sort of in the middle there. My husband is an artist, and he draws a special holiday picture every year (usually funny) and we make Christmas cards with them to send out. Only this year, our printer is sucking donkey balls, so we had to get them printed professionally. So our card this year will be part homemade, part commercial. A hybrid. Just hope they come back in time to get sent for Christmas! 8-)

sensibilia said...

That's a lovely story. You sound like such a nice couple. But I am amazed the card hasn't dropped to bits after all this recycling!

Kelloggs Ville said...

I used to do this with my first husband and even after 13 years of being divorced I still have the card tucked away. It's to do with hanging onto Christmas rather than the marriage.

Curry Queen said...

That is such a lovely story! It's one of those little things that tie you together long term - the shorthand of life!