Sunday, September 9, 2012

She's out....

Ma is home.
She is well.
With a prescription that has changed some of her medication,
so we shall see how she fares over the next few weeks.
She is glad to be home.
Pa is both relieved she is home
and ever so slightly put out that his week of eating what he likes, how he likes, when he likes, and not listening to my Ma 24/7 is at an end.
She never draws breath and cannot stand a silence.
She is back to being a non stop wall of sound.
Every day now he will be back to pretending he is going to the newsagents when really he is going to the bookies. Every day she knows he is going to the bookies.
Every day he will have to wear clean clothes and not slob around in his comfortable gardening/messing about trousers and shabby cardigan.
And after over 60 years of marriage, and their history, he would say to me as we drove to the hospital 'she drives me around the bend y'know......but I do miss her'.
Yet I do wonder how things would be if the boot were on the other foot so to speak......if he were in hospital.
I don't like to think about the future with regard to Ma and Pa really.
As trite a saying as it is, it is true that we really should just appreciate the moment and not worry about the past or the future.
With that in mind I am off to have a cold beer.
Cheers.



6 comments:

Marcheline said...

I am totally with you on the simultaneous love and exasperation that family members inspire. It's one reason that I live in NY and the rest of my family live in NC. Short, enjoyable visits just seem to work better for us. With lots of emails and phone calls in between.

Steve said...

Great to hear your good news...

Nana Go-Go said...

Glad to hear your Ma's home. You're so lucky to have your Pa around too...wish mine was. Have a good week, Libs. x

Trish @ Mums Gone To... said...

What a relief that all is well! Hope the cold beer went down well xx

Curry Queen said...

I'm sure they both appreciate each other really. I wish my dad had lived longer to be able to drive us all mad but sadly it wasn't to be. Living in the moment is definitely the way to do it!

About Last Weekend said...

Lovely, this was like a poem, made me a bit tearful. Same with my parents, the driving round the bend but not being able to do without each other. Think Dad would be totally lost without Mum