Saturday, September 29, 2012

Impulse purchases.....

I do not need another coat.
Need....no.
And yet.
Today I bought two coats.
I didn't need them, but I was feeling a little devil may care, as I was in the Charity shop with both Ma and my big sister, and feeling decidedly like I was working for care in the community ..... it was a challenging  shopping outing all in all and so I decided to treat myself to whatever the heck I wanted.....
So rather than think about my purchases I just did a what the heck this is a charity shop after all and bought two coats.....because to my mind that is the beauty of Charity shopping....you can buy tons of stuff and it doesn't ever break the bank/ it is for a good cause/ if you get sick of what you buy/it doesn't fit/ the colour makes you look ghastly then you just donate it back in.........win/win.

So this is the parka styleeee type one.....

and, although there isn't a photo of the other one, it is a lovely dark woollen military style coat by Jaeger.

So, bring it on weather - do what you will........I will be warm and toasty in my bargain coats.
That I can hang with my other jackets... and coats..... and macs.... and gilets.... and overcoats ...... and not everything I own is from a charity shop - but having so much choice is lovely.

11 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

Oxfam always used to be referred to as my tailor.

Looks like you're well prepared for winter. I own just one coat, a 40 year old long (and extremely battered) Barbour. I wonder if it'll see me through till Spring 2013?

Nana Go-Go said...

I like it very much.That's just what I've been looking for to replace the time-worn parka with the fur-lined hood that looks like it's been chewed by rats!....and a Jaeger Military Coat?Bargain-ous!
No emails have got through-even checked the spam box.
freeasabird2501@yahoo.co.uk
Have a good week, Libs.x

Trish @ Mums Gone To... said...

I really need to visit charity shops more often, although the ones in our town aren't that inspiring. I found a lovely mac in Oxfam in Stamford a few years ago: charity shops in wealthy towns have far better quality of stuff!

Curry Queen said...

You are clearly one of those irritating people who can walk into a charity shop and spot a bargain straight off whereas I only ever find stinky, mouldy stuff!

libby said...

Cro.....there are some lovely well made pieces in Charity shops...classics that would cost you a fortune now.....and bet your coat will go on and on...
Nana...glad the emails have worked now.
Trish....you're right....and little out of the way village shops usually hold treasure too.
CQ...oh I have to fight my way through tat as well!

hausfrau said...

The prices may have gone up but charity shops are still worth a quick look in my book. There's something very satisfying about 'real' recycling!

libby said...

Well the prices are a little higher than they used to be but I still love to furtle about looking for a bargain.

About Last Weekend said...

Jaeger? Holy Moley lady, you always schnag the best stuff at your charity stores (seriously there must be seriously monied folk living nearby!). I love the parka too, very Isabel Marant.In England you always get good wear out of coats, never feel bad about adding to the portfolio.

libby said...

ALW....It's only because I have been shopping in thrift stores/Charity shops for years that I have managed to be able to quickly spot anything half decent....my sister is even better at it!

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

I think the same when I'm trawling for stock for my Etsy Shop (Dunedin Street) My daughter has just begged me not to sell the glasses that are meant to be the jewel in my shop's crown. I have so much choice to eat and drink off I need never shop in a department store again. I do have to buy new clothes sometimes cos I'm a funny size. It's great hearing about and seeing your charity shop bargains :-)

Marcheline said...

The dark woollen military style coat is my favorite. Even without a photo (ahem). 8-)