Monday, July 2, 2012

So very different.........

My 'big' as in elder sister is staying with me. There she is now on the couch reading one of her beloved celebrity magazines. We are home from shopping.  Before we set off this morning I noticed that she had two big stickers on the back top thigh bit of her jeans....£10 and Size 16 ....she forgot to take them off and if I hadn't noticed them she would be wearing them that way still for all the world to see under her jacket. We have been in the City shopping today and after walking for hours we are home unscathed. Unscathed you say.... why would a shopping trip to the City centre cause anxiety? well you may or may not have read my accounts of shopping with my sister before, but in case you haven't and can't be arsed to go back and look at those posts, let me just say that my sister is 62 and somewhat..... special......she doesn't exactly have learning difficulties but certainly has issues and spending time with her is like accommodating a rather large, awkward noisy toddler......every thing is bright and shiny and interesting and must be talked about in shouty ways and she doesn't do escalators or train doors or revolving doors or lift doors or cope with crowds and rings you when you are trying something on in a changing room (she is outside) to ask are you still in there? it must be at least 10 minutes now but don't hurry.....and she walks about 10 feet behind you and when you slow down for her to catch up she slows down too, so you wait till she is level with you and then you find that she stops too.........so she is either a voice from behind you or a voice ahead of you (immediately ahead of you) or holding on to your arm for dear life.
So I have learnt new ways to navigate certain shops. We take the long way here or there to avoid the escalators and we amble along like care in the community ladies letting the fast flowing river of people just go around us tut tutting away and glancing sideways at the awkward funny looking woman. Or women...
Her pleasure today was to sit in a coffee shop in a bustling mall and watch people go about their business. Which to me is almost hell on earth......I don't drink coffee (I know, I know, they do tea) and busy shopping concourses are just noisy and unpleasant to me.........but I realised that when you live alone (as she does) watching the world go by is a pleasing distraction.........whereas my days are filled with people and on my day off I like to keep away from the hordes, she was entertained I suppose.
Apart from chocolate and crisps, there is almost nothing we both like or enjoy or share.
We are sisters.....we do share parents and siblings and yet hardly anything else.
She is, to use an expression my mum uses, hard work.
But she has just made me a cup of tea and not broken anything or spilled anything or dropped anything!
Yay!

8 comments:

Steve said...

I think most siblings are chalk and cheese... personalities dovetail in all sorts of intriguing ways.

Isabelle said...

Oh goodness. How noble you are.

Nana Go-Go said...

My wee-est sister is a History Teacher and ergo a bossy cow (that's not a reflection on ALL History Teachers)with very little patience for her oldest sister now that the age gap is widening (14 years). My wee sister (they're both taller and blonder than me)is also what I would describe as 'hard work' though not in the funny (ha,ha)way your sister is. I NEVER go shopping with her!I still love that they're my sisters though. Have a good week, Libs.

libby said...

S......absolutely
N.......I think you are a lovely sister to have
I.....not noble! I'm griping about it here after all!

Nota Bene said...

She sounds rather splendid...I would join her for a coffee and some people watching, although to be the rest of it sounds challenging!

libby said...

NB.....well if you like non stop running commentaries on everything and odd remarks about odd things at odd times you would get on famously!

Curry Queen said...

Sometimes our differences are what glues us together. She is lucky to have a loving sister like you and I'm sure she appreciates it in her own way!

Marcheline said...

Well, you've gotten revenge ... now the whole world knows what size jeans she wears. 8-)