Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Too many to choose from.....

There is, apparently, some sort of football competition on at the moment.  It seems that every time I switch on the TV (or truth be told the mister switches on the tv..left to my own devices I prefer the silence after a hard day at work) there is another match in play. So I have taken refuge in blog surfing, where I ripple around bouncing from site to site discovering new blogs, and doing that 'mmmmm do I like this or not' thing, and I have not been surprised to find that the tribes still rule. Lots of mummy bloggers, which are not really for me now as I have two kids over 21, and also because I find I am ashamed to admit, that I get jealous that blogging wasn't around when my kids were young, and that we didn't even have a camera then so there will be no blog recording my kids every stage of development. Jealousy is not an attractive trait and unfortunately I do have a touch of the green eyed monster. There are also lots of middle class quite posh bloggers, but as we aren't well heeled enough to have a place in france/the country/a weekend seaside getaway/a cleaner/gardener/another holiday at the Hotel du Cap, I do feel a bit orphan annie reading those, and move swiftly on. There are also some clever blogs, written by people who use words I can hardly pronounce let alone understand...not for the likes of me, I know my place. My place seems to be gathering with other like minded roughly my age give or take a decade people. Which is probably as it should be.  I know this is stating the bleeding obvious but I like the blogs I visit at the moment. Am I in the market for reading more? Idly reading bits and pieces from new to me blogs feels like the blogging equivalent of window shopping or wandering around a department store picking up and putting down without really intending to buy and having that vague 'but there is too much to look at/this box of chocolates is too big' feeling. (Crikey did I really just think that a box of chocolates could be too big????) I may have a touch of the vapours coming on just thinking that.....anyhoo.....how did we all start blogging?  how did we find our favourite blogs? Have we stayed with them? Once we 'follow' a blog do we ever 'un-follow'? Do we stick with our favourites or go wandering off? are we monogamous or do we have one night stands?

10 comments:

Steve said...

What football competition? Wasn't there one of those last year?

Nana Go-Go said...

I hear ya about the footie,sista!lol
I was first introduced to blogging through my book group, whose estimable leader had her own blog but had to take it down after she dissed one or two people too many and they found out about it and dissed her back!!!Anyhoo, I plucked up enough courage to try my hand at it and precariously dipped my toe in the whatsit to see what would happen. Almost immediately, two fabulous ladies called Claire and Emma, who no longer seem to be blogging themselves, encouraged me to keep going and thereupon I entered my first swap hosted by another lovely girl who coincidentally has stopped blogging (she's a fibre artist and is far too busy with her shop to continue blogging). That's when I 'met' my first best blogging buddy 'The Shabby Chic Bohemian' and we've remained friends ever since. Then I was 'twinned' with my next swap partner, Betty aka The Wood Fairy and she's become another best blogging pal - I take great cheer from hearing from them both on a regular basis. I only wished we all lived closer - I think we would become great pals. Then I happened upon a nice little blog called 'D-Scribes' and I found I had a lot in common with the author and I always look forward to reading her posts. I will stay with all my favourites because that's where I feel most comfortable.I have 'unfollowed' - particularly those people who have put themselves on elevated pedestals and can't/won't be bothered to even drop a line of thanks now and again for whatever reason.I try and steer clear of those types. Don't be intimidated by those so-called 'posh'blogs. Really 'posh' folk don't blog and they don't have 'cleaners', they have (housekeepers'(extraordinaire!).
Keep up the good work, Libs. I love coming here.

Kelloggs Ville said...

Gosh I really relate to this. I generally have a core circle of blogs I stay with. I'm interested and I care about the people. Then I have a few mistresses that I occasionally dabble in and out of (some of those are the out of my league people who I can be in awe of once in a while but not good for me regularly) then there are a few short term relationships that I drop them off if I find another that tickles my fancy. It's because there is only so much time in a day and you just can't read them all. I also tend to stop reading blogs when they start to do a lot of reviews. There are a few bloggers I used to read all the time that now don't, like auntie Gwen, I miss her.

Isabelle said...

I stay with blogs unless the people stop blogging. On the other hand, I read too many now to look at them all every day, so I do catch-ups. I keep adding to my list, though not too often now because life's too short.

My favourite blogs tend to be the funny ones - but not exclusively. The ones I don't like so much are those whose lives are sickeningly perfect....

Marcheline said...

I have discovered an oddity regarding blogs I read regularly. Quite often, I stumble across blogs that I fall in love with. I immediately add them to my blog list, and then.... they never write another post again.

My rules are simple: If a blog owner only posts once every three months, I'm taking them off my blog list. If a blogger starts banging on about politics and/or religion, I'm taking them off my blog list. If every single post starts with an apology about why they haven't been blogging... zzzzzzzzzzz.

Otherwise, I'm a pretty loyal reader.

libby said...

Steve.....and after this there will be tennis and then olympic stuff....
Nana...we are the modern day equivalent of pen pals....and are you still in the book club?
K...I hate reviews too...as for gwen...we wait in hope...
Isabelle..funny is good! lightens the days...
M....yep I'm more or less the same.

Nota Bene said...

As I was saying to the gardener at our country place where we'd just fired the cleaner in Switzerland shortly after our return from holiday at the Hotel du Cap, "There's always a bloody football competition going on"

I like coming here...although it took me ages to work out how to find you as Disqus seemed to want to keep commenters identities secret. So I started with a core of blogs which I just came across, many of which are no longer active and occasionally go on blogger safari to see if there's anything else I might like. I'll always visit the sites of anyone who comments to see what they're about. Once I've started reading I rarely give up because I get hooked, waiting for the next episode...just like soap opera whether the blog is an online diary or one of those more esoteric ones

libby said...

NB.....now I really see you and the cats mother at the Hotel du Cap....admit it.....you've been haven't you?? I want pictures!

Nana Go-Go said...

Hi again Libs. I've had a very interesting day. A man from my past turned up out of the blue (well, out of the sky really, all the way from Oz where he allegedly found his 'soul mate' and theretofore married her but interestingly enough didn't bring the broad abroad with him!)and left again totally unsettling me with his fine good looks and very fit body (I noticed this from across my kitchen when he was having coffee and scones and entertaining my Grandchild who thankfully saved me from a fate she can't yet imagine at being only 3 years old).Anyway, as I said he's married and therefore forbidden fruit to the likes of me. Now, where was I, oh yes, what an interesting debate you've started on this subject and I'm sorry if my comments are longer than anyone else's but we're penpals so that's ok I hope. I got chucked out of book club because I wouldn't adhere to the rules, namely reading the crap the rest of them used to vote for. I've never looked back, really. Have a great weekend, Libs.

libby said...

Ooh Nana...I am intrigued by your visitor!! more info please...