Friday, May 4, 2012

Recommendations anyone?

We want a week away mid July, somewhere that is hot and sunny, I am thinking maybe Greece? Which island though? which resort? we are both over 50 and like to walk and read and eat and sight-see but we are not 'ravers' or 'clubbers' and are quite happy with our own company, and by that I mean we are not anti-social, we just don't see the need to 'pal up' with other people, which some folk find weird. We both spend all year working hard, enjoy being together and only need sunshine, clean accommodation, feeding and watering, and some time to just relax and wind down. Which I admit, seeing these words in black and white, does seem a bit boring and dull..........and yet, this holiday will be a week away for our 30th Wedding anniversay, and yes, as daft as it seems, we still love each other, make each other laugh, and look forward to spending time together. For many years, and when the kids were little we would rent a villa and self cater, and so have never done the 'all inclusive' thing.....maybe now would be the time to give it a go? or would we be faced with food that we didn't fancy but felt obliged to eat, and therefore never try local restaurants? and YES we do appreciate how lucky we are. Able to think about booking a holiday in these austere times, but in our defence, we have always worked, and it has been 30 years!.....so any recommendations anyone....all gratefully accepted.....

10 comments:

About Last Weekend said...

I loved Paxos and Naxos, which were out of the way, beautiful beaches and not ravey. But that was 15 years ago might have changed since then..

Steve said...

ough I haven't been myself yet... Malta has been recommended to me 3 times.

She Means Well... said...

Yes! Come to Greece!
The weather is gorgeous (it's already 30 degrees, though it can head for the low 40s in late June, July and August) and the countryside is beautiful.
I'm sure a travel agent or good travel site can recommend quite places suited for your age and tastes. My hubby's home island, Samos, is one of the quieter ones and has a lovely interior. Skiathos and Skopelos are also lovely, as is Alonisos. Even some of the islands known best to the 18-30 crowd have quieter resorts which are quite lovely.

Macy said...

The only time I tried an all inclusive I hated it because the food was so bad we ended up eating twice.
I think 30 years, and still in love deserves a four star something somewhere!

Kelloggs Ville said...

Aunty Gwen has a beautiful villa in Turkey. Are you still in contact with her? If not I'll send you the link.

Nana Go-Go said...

I'd go with the Greek crowd - no chance of you doing a Shirley Valentine though - I envy you and your blissful contentment. Enjoy. Both of you. x

sensibilia said...

Congrtulations on 30 years together, and still in love! You must have some great times to look back on. Hope you have a really wonderful holiday, sounds like you need it. Sushine especially.

Isabelle said...

My daughter went to Zakynthos last September for her honeymoon, and loved it. It wasn't touristy - was peaceful. Can't remember the name of the hotel but I could ask her if you like.

Trish @ Mums Gone To... said...

Had some lovely holidays in Greece before Rory was born. Favourite was Kefalonia. Usually tried to go in June or September as I had a Greek trip in July once and it was so hot I could hardly move. So although you like the heat, be aware it can be boiling.

Have to say, for romance and food and stunning landscapes, I still adore Italy. The lakes might be worth looking at as temperature will be hot but bearable hopefully.

All inclusive can be good if you are in an expensive hotel but you do find it becomes boring and then apathy sets in so you end up doing bugger all!

Leslie said...

Congrats on the 30 years! We are celebrating our 30th in Paris at the beginning of July. Your trip sounds wounderful!