Friday, April 6, 2012

The usual places?

So I still can't find the bloody passport. Which in itself makes me cross, but which also makes me curse all burglars, because it is a result of having been burgled twice that I 'hide' things in 'safe places' before I leave the house, and then (yes you've guessed it) find that I cannot remember where I have hidden them.
How wonderful it would be to have the cavalier positive attitude that my mister has, evidenced by him leaving doors open/unlocked, important papers spread around, and his computer switched on and left on his personal details/bank page. His cry of 'oh for heavens sake, I'm only going around the corner, and who would be interested in our ------- insert dates of birth or bank passwords or personal info---------anyway?' makes me twitchy. Admittedly I am overly cautious about everything. All through my life I have been the good girl, the bowing to authority girl, the do it the right way girl and quite frankly at this late stage in the game I wish I could change...but no hope there. I always lock the back door, even when I am in the house all day..it is a habit now and one that drives the mister mad. In one of my favourite films, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, there is a scene where Molly (Debbie Reynolds) has a stash of money that she needs to hide from robbers, so she goes around her little shack trying to think like a robber before she stashes the cash away. Yet I don't have a stash of cash to hide from some lowlife robber, usually just a little bit of dosh or a sentimental piece of jewellery or a passport!
Once hidden away I used to step back and think 'aha...they won't find that' but now neither can I.  Having exhausted the usual places, no joy at all there, I  am beginning to think I am going mad and will have to take each room apart bit by bit looking for a passport that she swears is not in her room back at Uni.,....what d'ya reckon?.
 Please tell me I am not the only person who checks windows and doors and doesn't leave post lying around? Who switches things off? Not the only person who wears a handbag across my body and holds it in a vice like grip, for fear of it being snatched, when I am out. Who never uses cashpoints for fear of them being tampered with? who doesn't buy online, who is horrified that my ma (who is blind) just signs a withdrawal form and asks 'the nice cashier at the bank' to fill in the amount for her?.
Having reflected on how I am never barefoot (always need to consider being outside and needing to run) and how I take my hand bag to bed with me every night, and how I constantly check my pockets for the holy trinity of 'keys/phone/loose change' including checking that there is a hankie up my sleeve, and the fact that I keep all paperwork (payslips from 1979 anybody?) I do acknowledge that I have an anxiety /ocd issue (or I am just bloody crackers according to my mister) and so I know I should lighten up and trust a bit more. I know I should, and I wish I could,  truly I do. I will make a start on that once I have found this darn passport......................

11 comments:

Steve said...

You are not the only one. I am quite OCD about checking doors and windows and ensuring everything is switched off.

Kelloggsville said...

There's only one way to make the passport turn up. Report it lost or stolen! Sod's Law says it will turn up the second you put the phone down.

Marcheline said...

I always lock my doors, especially when home alone. I have a paid postal box, instead of using the public outdoor one at my house.

Some folks call that paranoia, but I call it doing everything I can to prevent something bad from happening. As a result, my peace of mind makes me much more relaxed.

I do, however, buy things online with my credit card... but that's no more dangerous than using your credit card at a store - the receipt is still viewable by many strangers, so I take my chances.

Nana Go-Go said...

I ALWAYS lock my doors and windows at night. In fact, in wintertime, I have been know to dub-up at 4.30pm by default! Visitors after that time are apt to 'phone me to let me know they're standing outside my house in the cold desperate for a heat!It's only common sense to make yourself as safe as possible, especially these days and it's no wonder your especially careful when your privacy and possessions have been invaded and raided by absolute bastards (pardon my French on Good Friday!). Keep up the good work, Libs and have a joyous and chocolatey Easter. x

libby said...

Steve, I am so glad I'm not the only one.
Kellogsville, yes that sounds about right, I'll let you know!
Marcheline, I wish I took more chances, I really do.
Nana, thank you..I've never heard the term 'dub-up' but I know what you mean!! happy Easter x

About Last Weekend said...

I wish I were more like you. I am totally slack. (Although living in Oakland we sometimes put the alarm on) But I have turned up to the airport twice with wrong passports, so noone wants to emulate what I do.

Macy said...

I worry less and less about everything the older I get.
They jury's out on whether this is laziness or a deep streak of (we're all doomed anyhoos) fatalism...

Curry Queen said...

I'm with you Libby - I'm an inveterate door locker, cos if I didn't do it, no other bugger would bother!

Trish @ Mums Gone To... said...

You need to get together with my husband: he's just like you and hides stuff in ridiculous places.

libby said...

ALW...wrong passports? what on earth happened?
Macy...I wish I could worry less...
CQ...I know!
Trish...ridiculous places are ideal...no one looks in them.....the down side is that I can't REMEMBER!

sensibilia said...

With you on most things, although I do use cash points and do not take my handbag to bed at night! Although that is more likely because I am OCD about the germs carried on ladies' handbags (very very germy things, apparently, and I try to keep most germs downstairs).

A work colleague once told me she hid her handbag in the washing machine, with predictable consequences.

I sometimes empty the strategic contents and hide them leaving the bag itself defiantly on display.