Thursday, April 12, 2012

Will think of loads of others later.........

Pam at http://postcardpam.blogspot.com/ has posted something she nicked from another blog (Kate takes five?) about 'your top five male singers' and I have been thinking about it for a little while. Or it might be top five albums or cd's.......anyhoo....not bands, just male singers. Which is harder than it sounds y'know.....I mean I love lots of bands, many of whom have great vocalists, and yet if you don't include bands and just concentrate on independent vocalists the field is narrowed down somewhat. Anyway I am not going to limit myself to five ('cos yes...I am the Queen of everything and you are not the boss of me....) and I am going to add to this list as I think of people, but in order to make a start I begin with .....

Tom Waits - Blue Valentine, which is a wonderful wonderful album that my daughter now loves just as much as I do. I drove all the way to London and back just to see him in concert many years ago, which for me was a big deal. Worth it though.....
Next up is Rufus Wainwright - Rufus does Judy. Good old 'belting them out' voice.
Add to the mix any Frank Sinatra/Brook Benton/Nat King Cole.
Possible some Barry White. Jackson Brown. Peter Gabriel.
John Martyn - Solid Air.......the most amazingly atmospheric voice/music.
Crikey this is going to be harder than I first thought. I will return.


This is me returning later. My mister has just given me a cd he bought for me as a blast from the past that I used to love years ago.....aaaaaahhhh ....some funk people...........I give you Johnny Guitar Watson!

11 comments:

Nota Bene said...

The first ones, tick vg. But I may have to YouTube..

Nana Go-Go said...

I've got a terrible confession to make......I actually LOVE Engelbert's Eurovision song!!!Just for the record, I've NEVER been a Humperdinck fan but there's just something about this song and the way he sings it....although it's better to just HEAR it than watch the YouTube video, trust me!
I'm with you on most of your choices, especially John Martyn.
Have a good weekend, Libs.

Steve said...

I can tell you like "proper singers"! You're a lady of taste and distinction.

Macy said...

Absolutely agree on Tom Waits and Blue Valentine. Do country singers count? Can you include Bonnie Prince Billy and Johnny Cash?

Curry Queen said...

I'm pitifully ignorant about Tom Waits but will follow up your recommendation!

libby said...

NB....what on earth did we do before you tube?
Nana....haven't heard it so off to youtube now...have a good w/e x
Steve...makes me sound old I guess but who cares
Macy....I don't know much about Country stuff but Big John? Of course!
CQ..hope you like Tom

Marcheline said...

1. Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
2. Bing Crosby
3. Eric Lee Martin (Mr. Big)
4. Johnny Mathis
5. David Bowie

libby said...

M...I forgot Bowie! and 1. and 3. are new to me...will check them out..

pam said...

Tom Waits' 'Asylum Years' was an incredibly strong contender in my 5, along with Tendy Prendergast, Gil Scott-Heron, anything by John Lee Hooker and Peter-Gabriel's 'So'. We have much in common. My friend was reminding me that no matter what you think of Phil Collins, 'Face Value' is a stunning album that gives you the shivers. (Once you start this lark, you can't stop!)

libby said...

Love Gil's voice and yes Phil Collins is a sort of lovehimhatehim type isn't he?

About Last Weekend said...

Yes I had a lot of trouble when I thought about this, as am more drawn I think to women's voices. Anything by Sinatra and Nat King Cole and I do love the local rappers (any and all...thought bit of bleeping required)