Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pretty woman.....

Remember that scene with Julia Roberts? where the snooty assistant in the shop on Rodeo Drive won't serve her? and then Julia has the BEST EVER revenge when she goes back with unlimited funds and says 'big mistake...huge!'.
Well I was reminded of that yesterday, and although a) obviously I look NOTHING like Julia (I know...you're shocked right?) and b) I do not have unlimited funds but there was a shiny shilling or two in my purse, I obviously had that 'no, she is old/fat/poor/not worth bothering with' look about me in Hobbs yesterday. There were 3 or 4 assistants (ha!) and I had to do the 'excuse me....do you have?' request to one of them, who cocked her head on one side and spoke to me as if I were a poor beggar lady. Without moving from her spot about 20 feet from me she said 'No.. but try online'.
To make matters worse, they were concentrating on filling up champagne glasses. Now don't get me wrong and think 'aha Libby was after a free glass of bubbly' and that is what caused my irritation. No, as much as I like a glass of fizz, I would have declined, as cheap warm stuff in a hot store on a Saturday lunchtime, when I am driving anyway, is not what I would have had, but the orange juice looked tempting. What really pissed me off is that they didn't even offer it to me! There didn't seem to be any visiting slebs or big bosses in the store and so I presume the drinks were a festive tipple for the customers........or rather some customers.
I took my shiny shillings elsewhere.

12 comments:

Steve said...

Grr. Shops like that don't deserve to be in business in my opinion.

Kelloggsville said...

Middle aged women cloak of invisibility. Crickey it gets me down. I have a similar story from yesterday involving a piece of toast. Think I will blog it at some point because it really really maddens me because my spending power is enormous compared to the younger models. Good service in Clarks the other day and I went home with 5 paiBaganda a bag LOL. If they'd ignored me I would have walked out.

Marcheline said...

I am the sort who, when treated with disdain by employees, will never darken the door of that establishment again. As a matter of fact, it has been at least 20 years since I have set foot in a shopping mall. I do all my shopping online, and am immeasurably happier for it. The retail world is just one of the more painful rings of hell, but happily is completely avoidable. The most cheerful thing to be said about it is that the nasty people who work there are suffering the flames as well, because the only thing nastier than the employees are THE MANAGERS. Mwahahahahahhhhh!

Marcheline said...

Forgot to say that "Pretty Woman" is one of my all time favorite movies. I can quote the entire thing line for line. It's annoying getting to that age where everyone around me is too young to have ever seen it, and when I whip out a quote like "their bathroom is bigger than the Blue Banana" I just get the side-eye. 8-)

Trish @ Mum's Gone To ... said...

This does make my blood boil: no excuse for poor customer service. Stuff their warm Lambrini!

Macy said...

In Hobbsof all places???
Back in my day I remember the staff all being experts in the black arts of flattery and suggestion... oh wait...

Nana Go-Go said...

I'm a firm believer in every dog has its day - they'll get theirs eventually, no worries. Have a good week.

Curry Queen said...

So glad you didn't buy anything there - they don't deserve your hard-earned cash!

About Last Weekend said...

Holy heck, they can operate like this in a recession??? As Steve says they don't deserve to be in business.We have all sorts of websites here to make comments about stores on - you should do that!

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

A long time ago I learnt how to serve customers - in the Oxford Covered Market of all places. Admittedly I worked in a select establishment, but we counter girls had it drummed into us, that we did not ignore customers for one second. Sloppy shop staff put me in high dudgeon. Hope someone showed you some gratuitous kindness after this incident.

Nota Bene said...

Hope the shiny shillings were put to great use elsewhere

libby said...

Steve..well BE in business but run it with a customer focus.
K..what did you come out of Clarks with?
Marcheline...I agree, a shopping mall is hell on earth to me too
Trish...absolutely!
Macy...and I very rarely shop in there, but probably won't ever again now...are you a sales person par excellance then?
Nana...I love your attitude...yes Karma will get you in the end!
CQ..yes my cash will be spent elsewhere..like it usually is.
ALW...is there a recession in NZ?
LMSG..thank you..what goes around comes around.
NB...still in my purse....but will no doubt be going shopping most weekends between now and Christmas.