Tuesday, October 18, 2011

That there London........

We had such a good time yesterday. We walked and walked and walked and thoroughly enjoyed seeing London on foot. I think if you wander around, taking time to look up and around, and are happy investigating little streets and alleyways you can experience a place that you would never know about if you took a quick tube ride. Not that I am against using the tube, it is a marvellous thing, but on our trips to London we like to walk, and explore and meander around at our own pace. My initial intention had been to see the round reading room of the British Library. I have always wanted to see it for some reason, I'm not sure why, and I was a bit sad that we didn't see it.....in one way......but did in another.  Sort of. We began at the British Museum, and oh what a wonderful space/place it is. The Great Court is beautiful and I would be happy there whatever particular exhibits were on show in the various galleries and rooms. As I walked in it made me gasp and ooh and aah like a child......again I don't know why, as I don't exactly know what it is about the structure that pleases me...it just does. Light and space and lines and curves and I loved it. Also on my list of things I want to see is a Moai/Easter Island statue, and there in front of me he was......big and mysterious and fabulous, and although I know you aren't supposed to, I had to touch it. I also loved Cradle to Grave  by Pharmacopoeia, it reminded me of something very similar I'd seen a couple of years ago at MoMa in New York. A whole life displayed in an unusual way. The museum is like a big box of chocolates, in that there is almost too much choice........so we saw bits and pieces and will return another day.
After that it was Somerset House (will return for some Ice skating maybe?) and then across Waterloo Bridge (with a kiss along the way, because I love remembering the old film), the South Bank, The Tate, St.Pauls and a drink before home........and as I sat in the pub, just before we caught the train home I realised I was sat next to a picture on the wall of ... the round reading room of the british library...... so I did get to see it...sort of....until next time!

9 comments:

Steve said...

Sounds like you've been cultured good 'n' proper!

Trish @ Mum's Gone To ... said...

A perfect day! And a kiss on Westminster Bridge too.

Nota Bene said...

I too love walking around London, even though I'm here everyday. You chose a great route there...

libby said...

Steve...I know it's very touristy but I sent a postcard from the Tate and did write 'been Kultured goodnproper' on it!!
Trish....it was a lovely day..we are very very lucky, and Waterloo Bridge with Vivien Leigh is in my top ten of films..of course we had to kiss! but the mister is agin public displays of that sort so no snogging!
NB...I think I am falling slightly in love with London at a funny stage in my life...have never lived there and never wanted to..but do think it a great place to visit...you are lucky.

Curry Queen said...

It's great being a native tourist in London every so often. I feel a visit coming on soon! It sounds as though you had a wonderful day.

Nana Go-Go said...

Glad you had a good time. x

Marcheline said...

KEEKS!

sensibilia said...

The New British Library next door to St Pancras Station is free and a great place to visit. It doesn't have a round reading room (that is still in the British Museum) but has some interesting displays and a great cafe and shop.

libby said...

CQ....we never really appreciate what is on our doorstep until we show it to visiting family etc.,don't you think?
Nana....oh we did...and thanks to you I have had 'Dolphins' on the brain..which is lovely!
Marcheline.....keeks!
Sensibilia.....thanks for dropping by, and yes that is on our list.