Saturday, October 8, 2011

Surprise delight....

Last night I was watching TV in bed (the mister was there but was listening to something on his little radio/earphones ... he is addicted to this and panics when we go away in case he can't listen to the radio throughout the night...go figure) and I don't know about you and the remote control, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to watch so was just working my way up and down the channels....from 101 to 102 to 103 etc.,..... the OCD part of me will not let me just change channels willy nilly or start at some peculiar number like 116 and ramble up and down.....like this blog post? rambling up and down and not getting to the point! ahem.
I chanced upon Songwriters circle ...... three men on the stage of the Porchester Hall in London....which by the way looks absolutely beautiful....see..rambling again....and thought to myself  'that old chap in the middle with the white hair and glasses looks a bit like Nick Lowe'.....the Nick Lowe that I fancied the pants off back in the day..........and the guy on the piano is Leon Russell......who I fancied the pants off back in the day.......and the guy on the right looks familiar but I'm not sure who he is but I love his voice.
Well people......the songwriters circle gig last night was fabulous.....Paul Brady (fabulous) Nick Lowe (fabulous) and Leon Russell (fa....yes you know the word)......and I thought to myself that when last I pitched up to a gig to see Nick Lowe many many years ago I must have been in my late teens.............a young slim girl in the city staring up at the guy with the guitar on stage, who didn't even notice me.....I was a member of a club in which there must be millions and millions of members.......the audience.
Last night although they were all older (and Leon's voice is a bit stretched these days) and I was certainly older, watching them from the comfort of a nice warm bed,  the music made me happy and sad all at the same time.
Years go by........voices change......but talent and good writing ensure that songs are covered by a new generation of singers over and over again.......we, the audience, get old, the performers get old, but the good songs never do.

9 comments:

Steve said...

A good song stays with you forever.

Nota Bene said...

Last year we saw Lloyd Cole (twice)...same fabulous songs, and great voice. A somewhat enlarged stomach, and podgy face. Still brilliant

Nance said...

Must look to see if I can find a youtube video or a link somewhere so I can watch Leon Russell. About a year ago, Elton John put out a new album that he claimed was "with Leon Russell," but there was too much Elton on it for my taste. The appearances they made together were a joke, too, since it was all Elton patting himself on the back and Leon was hardly allowed to make a peep.

If I can find it, I shall be "happy and sad all at the same time."

libby said...

Steve, we all have our favourite library of songs too...
Nota Bene.....twice? must have been good. have you visited the Porchester Hall?
Nance....I saw the Leon/Elton concert on TV...I like them both.

Curry Queen said...

The one bit I can't get my head round is fancying Leon Russel! Too beardy.. :-)

libby said...

CQ...Yes I know...I agree...I don't fancy him now....but when he was young and beardless and a bit 'out there'..very briefly I fancied him....and he is very very talented of course. So I'm guessing the Shah is beard free then?

Macy said...

You can imagine my shock when I saw my first crush - Roy Harper on Jools Holland recently.

This was not a good feeling...
Though I thought Nick Lowe was looking better than he did in his skinny hey day.

Nana Go-Go said...

Leon Russell - well I never! I used to love him too (did he write `Delta Lady`?). The only one I mind getting older is Van Morrison - he`s turned into a very grouchy old man who doesn`t connect with his audience at all verbally. Comes on stage, does is set, exits stage left!Charming when you`ve paid top dollar to go and see him!I still love his music though. I`ve requested `Into the Mystic` to be played at my `leaving solid ground` party!I watched the Songwriters prog last week with the guy from the Manic Street Preachers and two others who I didn`t recognise. Acoustic sets are the best. Have a good week Libs. Back to work for me tomoz after a week`s hols - VERY depressed about it!

Debbie said...

@Nance did you find a good youtube video?

By the way, that's a very surprising anxiety your mister is suffering from - he can simply take a portable radio with him, right? Or is it a specific channel that he can't live without? Makes me very curious what he is listening to!