Monday, October 3, 2011

Best intentions.....

I spent yesterday morning with my backside seemingly glued to my favourite spare room chair as I sat for hours making a gift for my daughter.  I had the 'craft' mood upon me and decided that as she is 'ooop north' at University, and winter may be cold, I would knit her a beret. I know....making a young woman something homemade to wear is a tricky thing. Sometimes it is  'wow mom that's great....can you make my friends one?' and at other times it is a long withering look and comments about care in the community and calling childline............
I found a free pattern on the internet and kept it simple (this is me we're talking about) but we had been out with friends on Saturday night and I was feeling a little delicate.
I enjoyed the sitting there purling and knitting and vowing silently in my head to never drink again (d'you hear that Auntiegwen?..will I ever learn?)
The rythmic backwards and forwards was quite soothing and perhaps I carried on longer that I should have....or maybe it is supposed to slouch in some way?



But let us be honest.
IT IS NOT GOOD.
As you can see for yourself.
Stop laughing.
Actually I don't think it can be called a beret at all.
A big bowl of WRONG really.
Wrong in so many ways.
Bad colour, bad size, bad shape and  strange to look at and ... well .... just a waste of wool.

I am going to unpick it and do something else with it...the question is what?

13 comments:

Trish @ Mum's Gone To ... said...

No, not laughing at all.... *sniggers*

Put a couple of holes in it and she can use it as a tea-cosy!

Nana Go-Go said...

Oh, Libs, that is the funniest pic!lol It`s knowing when to stop that counts and later on I`ll show you my hat that grew too big! A valiant effort by you though and a lovely colour.All you need to do is unravel a few rows and call it a `beanie` - very de rigeur for the young `uns, alongwith wristwarmers! Or pop over to Ravelry (where they call unravelling `frogging`)(?) for more inspiration.Good Luck and Keep on Knittin`. x

Steve said...

It looks soft, warm and snug. Anybody with an ounce of soul would love that hat. Seriously.

Kelloggsville said...

at least it would keep her ears warm which a beret always fails to do. I think your just wearing it wrong. Accessories: some can wear them and some can't. Some ladies wear scarves like Isadora, I wear them like a klutz

Kelloggsville said...

ps I never drank Gin before the dear AG impressed it upon me...I regularly curse her, along with the Red Baron, on a Sunday

Curry Queen said...

Well, it's better than anything I could produce. Good on you!

Macy said...

But it's warm.... and she won't worry about losing it on the bus...

auntiegwen said...

I am hoping this will post as I am not on my work laptop which appears to have taken agin some blogs.

My daughter wants a great big chunkly woolly scarf with pockets (FFS) so I am going to either have to be nice to my ex mother in law or get my needles out.

I have given up the drink in an attempt to lose weight, I am now fat and cranky

Nance said...

That can't be how it's worn!

Can it?

Maybe if you squash it all flat and tilt it alluringly over one eye, drape your hair in a side part so it covers the other eye like Veronica Lake and then...

Okay, maybe not.

Marcheline said...

Nah, you're just wearing it wrong! Scootch the brim up where it should be, cant it off to one side and let the rest flop over, beret style! If all else fails, ask your daughter if she's got any friends with dreadlocked hair. They can stuff it up in there, Jamaican style, mon!

Isabelle said...

I think it looks quite fetching, actually.

Isabelle said...

Hmm. I tried to leave a comment. Did it work? Is this working? Anyway, I admired the beret/tea cosy.

libby said...

Isabelle...thank you for posting...and looking back I cannot believe I posted a picture of the hat/tea cosy....which I am about to unpick!