Saturday, October 1, 2011

He looked a little too long and hard........

What? what do you think I mean?
Not what I guess you might have initially thought.....I am not that woman.

Y'see last night I was in the queue in the local store. The queue that snakes past the aisle with the toothpaste and nail varnish remover and expensive little bits and bobs that you usually wouldn't buy in a convenience store. There was only one person on the till and quite a queue, but I was in no hurry. I was idly looking at the shelf right next to me, head height. Packets of emery boards and scissors and one packet of tweezers. Only there were no tweezers in it. It was empty. Someone must have taken them.
The till bell rang for assistance and as another staff member appeared from the back room and squeezed past me (it was a narrow aisle) I had the empty packet in my hand and I was looking around for the tweezers....no..no tweezers. Now I shop in this place at least twice a week and this chap knows me, only in a 'hi how are you?' kind of way, but I like to think he knows I do not shoplift. He is not the tallest man in the world and in fact cannot reach the shelf with the aformentioned tweezers, or empty tweezer packets.
I handed the empty packet to him and said 'Hi..this is empty...someone must have taken them...' .
Initially he slowed down, took the packet and said 'thanks' and began to walk away. Then something made him stop, look up at me or rather my chin (as I said he is not tall) and say 'do you need these?, shall I find some in the storeroom for you?'. I could see him searching my face from brow to chin (possibly nose as well) but I stammered a 'no thanks' and moved up the queue.

As I said, he looked a little too long and too hard.

Listen up people. When you are 57 and you own a magnifying mirror, you do not leave the house until you have checked for those pesky 'I'm the start of your old lady beard' hairs.

Trust me on this.

7 comments:

Steve said...

I have a full beard. It's never going to be an issue.

Nana Go-Go said...

I hear ya Sista! I`m keeping Boots afloat with shares in their own brand hair removal cream! Sometimes I just pretend I`m facially hairless and try and ignore the staring - I`d say it`s other folks who have a problem, not me!ha ha ha

Curry Queen said...

Lol - magnifying mirror - don't we all own one of those!

Macy said...

Oh great! Here I am still waiting to grow out of the teenage spotty stage, and apparently old lady beard hairs are just around the corner

Nance said...

At 63, and with an excess of vanity, there are so many things I have to check before I leave the house that I sometimes just don't go. And, when I do, I've finally developed the habit of being late.

libby said...

Steve...this is a very strange fact but you and the guy in the shop look a little alike...just a little...only he is clean shaven....and you as a shop lifter?? heaven forfend!
Nana....you are so right....not my problem really...just let the buggers stare.
CQ..they are both good and bad...great for putting your make up on so that you don't look like a clown and yet terrible for showing each and every line/wrinkle.
Macy....I know....we could just give in and grow beards I guess but my hearts not in it....
Nance...welcome! thanks for stopping by...being late somewhere though? oooh not sure I could do that .... yet...maybe as you get a little older you develop a 'what the hey' attitude?

Marcheline said...

What a great Sunday chuckle! Thanks!