Friday, May 20, 2011

Never again......

Why oh why, every once in a while, am I tempted by my family to think that going to the pictures will be fun? On a Friday night, at a large cine complex, packed to the rafters with noisy yobby misfits?.....it was never going to go well.
Yes, before I am shouted at by any passing reader, I am well aware that me and the mister and our son and dil were also there but...purleese...some of the cinemagoers there tonight were ...well.....I do struggle for words to describe them.....
From the outset, I was only going to please my family....they all love horror, and wanted to see 'Insidious'...not a genre of film I really like, but I wanted to join in and show willing so off we went.
The film was not great, and owes a big debt to Poltergeist, although once or twice the 'coming up any minute, get ready, we are signposting it.....THERE you go...the scary bit' did cause an oooh or an aah from us.....but on the whole I was stifling yawns and paying more attention to the furniture (how old does that make me now? let me guess...PENSIONER old..) in that I found myself thinking 'that lamp is nice...maybe they should move the chair to another spot in the room...lovely floor..' so I wasn't really engaged with the film.
And the whole time I am conscious that my husband is teetering on the edge of causing mayhem in the place by wanting to stand up and shout 'shut the fuck up!!' at the constant talkers. Ho Hum.......truly am in grumpy old lady territory now eh?
I like my film viewing at home on hookey dvds with my feet up and my comfy clothes on and no coughing or shouting or idiot strangers shouting out to ruin the experience..........
Anti social? well maybe I am...........got a PROBLEM WITH THAT??????? .....see, behaviour breeds behaviour.

5 comments:

Nana Go-Go said...

It`s not anti-social at all, Libs - it`s a jungle out there....and the price of a bag of cinematic minstrels?Oi Vey!

Curry Queen said...

Haha - I sympathise! The Shah also only likes sci-fi/horror/army films and, while I am willing to be dragged along occasionally,put me in a warm dark room and I, er, fall asleep! Embarrassing!

Steve said...

This is why my wife now take time off work to see Matinees or, even better, drive out of town to a big multiscreen - it dilutes the yob aspect considerably and we've never had a bad experience.

libby said...

Sorry for the rant there folks! feel a little less grumpy old lady now...but Friday night was a waste of time....the film was rubbish by the way............give me an old black and white with clever dialogue and a a good story or a beautifully shot musical everytime.

Marcheline said...

Nope, you are not alone... I absolutely ABHOR going to the movies these days. The only thing worse than paying almost twenty bucks to see a film with my husband is the kids that throw that money away so that they can sit and text message and chat on their cell phones DURING THE MOVIE. Arrrrgh! And let's not forget those courteous souls who come out to the theater in the throes of a bout of cattarrh or dyptheria and cough and sneeze and hack all over the back of your neck. In short, the theater is gross and unnecessary now that home entertainment technology has improved so greatly.