Friday, March 25, 2011

unsettling times at needs dusting towers...

The mister has a decision to make. Quite a life changing decision. I am neither use nor ornament with regards to advice...I will support him whichever way the wind blows. We would both like some grown up person to come to us and say..'this is what you should do'...as long as that grown up person was not family as they would want to put in their ideas and or suggestions. Our 'go with our gut instinct' way of operating is failing us as one day it points one way and then..you've guessed it...the next day points the other. It is not a health decision, and for that we are grateful, it is a work/job/money decision. I strongly suspect that whatever happens, 6 months down the line we will look at each other and say 'Oh my God..what on earth have we done?'. Being a grown up can be quite perplexing at times....and I say that very mindful of the fact that we are very very  lucky to be grown ups...as my Pa always says 'getting old is better than the alternative' and I know that each day above ground is good. Much much more than good.
People all over the world are coping with death, disease, war and terrors that I don't think I can ever imagine.
We are here, living fortunate lives.
Unfortunately, being the flawed human that I am, these thoughts do not distract me from my own concern. Yes, I am that shallow.........what to do? what to do?

9 comments:

Andy said...

As I was once told, if a decision is too close to call, then either option will work if you make it. The important thing is to make the decision.

And if all else fails I'll get the gins in :)

Trish @ Mum's Gone to... said...

I like Andy's idea - it reinforces the idea of making a list of pros and cons.
I wish I could be that sensible grown-up advising you but...!

Steve said...

Do whatever will make you the happiest and removes the most stress from your lives

libby said...

Trish, Andy, thank you both for taking the time out of your day to give me your thoughts...it is hugely appreciated that people bother to post comments and/or responses......realising that we have to just get on with it and after spending so much time talking and thinking we may have decided which path to tread......once things are more final I will elucidate, but honestly thanks again for just 'being there'.

Macy said...

Personally I've always found it to be the most help when someone says definitely which option you should choose. That seems to solidify my decision - either because I find I disagree, or think... yes, they're right.

So in this spirit, my advice is to go with the one that will give you the most money immediately. Not money in six months, or money in a year or two. Money now.

Nana Go-Go said...

Morning Libs and thank you for commenting yesterday. Preeshiate it!
When my son graduated from Stirling Uni, Dame Diana Rigg was the Rector and in her closing speech at Graduation Ceremony (very theatrical but rivetting nontheless!), she beseeched all the graduates to grab whatever opportunities came their way - a great piece of advice which I try to adhere to! Apart from my Mother`s old chestnut,`Bloom where you`re Planted`, I can`t offer any other advice I`m afraid except to say if you don`t do whatever it is you`re deciding about now, you`ll be another day older when you do. No help, am I??
Have a great weekend. x

auntiegwen said...

Would some time in Turkey help to make the decision? The door is always open for you xxx

libby said...

Macy....although money isn't everything it sure do help! enjoy your Saturday.
Nana....Morning...you must have been so proud to see your lad in his cap'n'gown! Thanks for the advice ... have a good weekend
Auntie....thank you for your kind thoughts...will email you ...have a good w/e..love libby xxx

Marcheline said...

As Bear and I find out all the time, the fact of being together and loving and supporting each other makes up for all the silly decisions in the world. Whatever happens, you'll be okay as long as you keep your relationship strong. Use your heads, of course, but if it's a 50/50 decision, just as good one way as another, flip a coin and dive in! Or - don't make any decision at all and see what happens. That's a decision, too...