Sunday, March 13, 2011

preparing for what may never come.......

This weekend  me and the mister 'house swapped' with our son. We spent Saturday night at their modern flat, cuddled up in a double bed (had forgotten that you have to turn in tandem.....very cosy) and Son, his girlfriend and my daughter, along with a group of Uni., friends had a get together at our house. There were blow up mattresses here and there, a night in town, bacon sandwiches this morning and a good time had by one and all. My daughter told me that her brother even danced at the club at one point last night... a boy who, as far as I know, doesn't do dancing........and has laughingly told me that I will only ever see him dance, maybe, on his wedding day. Seeing my boy with his 'home from Uni.,' sister, seeing the two of them together, laughing and sharing, was a joy.
Early this morning, the mister went for his usual swim. I stayed in bed and then got up and ate buttered toasted croissants. Hence the arse/belly/hips combo that I may have mentioned before.
 I realised that perhaps there are only a short number of years before grandchildren. That I was not energetic enough for grandchildren. That I could not let my children, and their yet to be conceived and born children, down. That if I was too tired to think about being a Grandma now, I would truly be knackered if and when I was one.
So this is what my husband bought for me today.













This afternoon we went for a little trial run....just around the local area. It was good. I enjoyed it. I am also going to go with the mister to the pool and maybe give swimming another go. Who knows if these good intentions will lead to anything. I inagine that after a few weeks I might return to my favourites of cake and crochet.....but I have a strong desire to be a fabulous Grandma if and ever I am one...so I will endeavour to up my energy levels somehow and see what happens......

12 comments:

Kelloggsville said...

oooh, a basket :0) has it got a bell too? I really like it, it's a proper bike. Have fun.

Steve said...

Granma's don't need lots of energy. They need lots of love. You will be fine. ;-)

auntiegwen said...

Gorgeous bike :) and you will be a fabulous grandma x

Moannie said...

Well, there are too many fabulous Grannies out there at the moment, my Sunday supplement was full of 'em. How happy I am that I am at the stage where a blast of Elnet and a touch of lippy gives the illusion of youth to my time battered face.

The secret is to do this only infrequently...so that the 'voila' effect works every time.
Sazzie has a bike just like that.

Trish @ Mum's Gone to... said...

The 'arse, belly, hips combo' made me laugh a lot. It's a wonder there was room for your husband in that bed!! ;-)
Love your bike, missus.

libby said...

Kellogsville...why yes there is a bell! and brakes that work thank goodness..
Steve...such encouragement/confidence..thankyou.
Auntie...gin-soaked grannie? will that be me??
Moannie...every time I see your blog photo I think how beautiful you are.
Trish.....I wouldn't mind having the abh combo if I had some boobs to go with it....size 12 top and size 'stay off the cakes' bottom

Lottie said...

Good for you. My husband bought me a bike and signed me up for the London to Brighton Bike Ride...don't know whether to divorce him or have him killed...

Marcheline said...

Great bike! Ride it in joy!

Nana Go-Go said...

Nanas rock!

Curry Queen said...

Also loved the arse/belly/hips combo line and deeply jealous of not having written it! Lovely bike too.

libby said...

Lottie...aah you are obviously a lady that owns lycra and a space age bike...I am very impressed (and intimidated) .... and all the best for the L2B venture you are undertaking!
Marcheline...thanks...he also bought me a lock for it (the area I live in is fine but he thinks that some no-good might want to look like a district nurse and may pinch it!)
Nana....I imagine you to be a very glamorous and energetic grandma..what's your secret??
Curry Queen...why thank you!

sensibilia said...

Great bike! Enjoy! But build up to it gradually, or your knees will hurt! (My tip!)