Monday, December 27, 2010

Holding up the queue....

We had another escalator incident today. Last time my sister stayed with us here for a few days, our trip into town proved to be too much for her in one way or another. She is having a lie down as I type.

She wanted to have a coffee and cake in town and watch the world go by. Ok then.....but in order for us to get to Costa for her to have a coffee (I don't drink coffee..and very rarely eat or drink in town....I prefer to just come home...sitting in a noisy loud shopping mall just to have a cup of tea doesn't appeal to me at all)  she had to use an 'up' escalator.
Not something she could contemplate doing.
We talked, we walked.
She decided to have a coffee and cake somewhere else.
We then needed to negotiate a down escalator. We tried, a couple of times, with her at the top and putting her leg in and out a la hokey cokey, but failing to fully commit, and twice I had to run back up a down escalator like a cartoon character to comfort a 60 yr old sister who was saying loudly 'sorry sorry sorry ooooooohhh can't do it' and move her to the side so that the 'determined to get a bargain' grim faced shoppers behind her were not overly inconvenienced.

Perhaps today was the wrong day. Maybe another time when it is quiet she will feel able to give it another go.
Maybe as I get older I have less patience. I just know that when I came in this afternoon I walked into the kitchen and from the bottle necked a glug of wine! I know!! Have never done that before but just felt compelled to do it....and truly I am not even a proper drinker...ask Auntiegwen....but the nectar worked its magic and now she is sleeping and I can do the crossword and tomorrow is another day.........

5 comments:

Working Mum said...

I can't think of anything worse than going to the shops for a coffee two days after Christmas! That alone would have had me hitting the bottle!

Nana Go-Go said...

I did it at work! Extremely stressful last week-dinner party - clearing up next morning - opened bottle of claret - glug,glug,glug - it`s ok though, it was after 10.00am!....and it made me feel a whole lot better :)
p.s. apart from that, I`m teetotal which I have added to my ever-growing list, after celibacy....gee whiz, I`m practically a nun!

Steve said...

Must admit I'll be avoiding the town for a good couple of days and, given my finances, shopping malls for a couple of months...

auntiegwen said...

No point in dirtying a glass for a glug!!!!

Trish @ Mum's Gone to... said...

We did the sales yesterday: came back with quite a few buys but none of them were reduced! That's quite hopeless. Husband needed the wine to recover from not saving any money!