Monday, November 22, 2010

The W.I. .....

Spent the last 3 days at the coast....when you live in the middle of the country, being beside the sea is wonderful. Looking at it, listening to it. Slowing yourself down.

Visited a W.I. fair which was lovely....bought a cardigan, a jar of chutney, some plants and the best lemon drizzle cake I have ever tasted. Am slightly in awe of W.I. ladies - my domestic goddess skills would be surely lacking and if in future years when I have the time/and or inclination I apply to join I suspect  the ladies might be 'a housewife? a mother? are you sure? who looked at your application form???'.....and let's face it when I made my Christmas cake at the weekend I cheated and used the 'Delia' bag....bovvered me? naaah.

At the moment I feel calm and content. My family are well. November is, to me such a lovely month, and yet most people hate it. I have a birthday early in the month and once that is over with I feel that I have a breathing space to start looking forward to Christmas...and Christmas is just wonderful, I love it. My mother has told me every year how much she hates it and this attitude has not altered my feeling at all. I love nearly everything about it.

There is magic. It does exist.  Much of everyday life is just smoke and mirrors but some things...some times, experiences, feelings ....well they just make you remember that life is magical.

7 comments:

Trish @ Mum's Gone to... said...

The fact that you make your Christmas cake at all (Delia bag or no Delia bag) puts you on a pedestal in my eyes!

I'm feeling quite chipper too!

auntiegwen said...

I wanted to buy a Delia bag but my friend was so sniffy about it, they ended up offering to make me one, I am going to decorate it myself and it will look like Christmas on crack!!!!

Ps can you do this Sunday?, I will come meet you in your town, bit of Xmas shopping, bit of lunch, lot of gossip... (now you know you want to, I know how to manipulate my friends :) xxxx

Steve said...

Glad to hear you've had a good few days!

Nana Go-Go said...

I`m with Trish on that one!

diney said...

You are right - there is still beautiful magic at christmas time. And having a home made cake is just so homely - even if you just put it on the table and admire it!

Madame DeFarge said...

My birthday is early November and I feel the same about the breathing space. And about WI ladies. I feel a sham of a working woman, who can't even keep her home tidy and make jam at the same time.

libby said...

So we are all agreed? there is magic? good.....let's focus on that then......