Saturday, January 16, 2016

Right or wrong.....

We were just talking about someone the mister knew nearly 40 years ago. He stayed at our first house once and outraged me by pissing on the carpet in the corner of the bedroom during the night when he was drunk.  I knew he was a little casual with regard to the law, although I didn't know the half of it apparently and the day after the pissing night he showed us a very large very heavy gold necklace and said would I like it? I said NO and insisted the mister show him the door....which he did. Turns out the steering column of his car was chock full of jewellery and this was the first thing he had grabbed in order to placate me. Being the good Catholic girl that I was it appalled me to think about saying yes to what was obviously stolen...... but I surprised myself and the mister just now over breakfast by laughing and saying that considering the fact we were young and broke and with a mortgage I wish I'd looked at the rest of the loot and made a choice!

11 comments:

auntiegwen said...

It's the guilt my dear, I have it too x

libby said...

Those darn Nuns and their early years education eh? x

Joanne Noragon said...

Righteous indignation goes a long way, and carries a lot of lessons, such as bedding down such a drunk in the bath tub.

libby said...

Joanne, it didn't occur to me that he would do what he did....I thought he would just fall asleep and wake up with a bad head!

Cro Magnon said...

You did right. To have accepted it would have been to involve yourself. Stealing of all sorts makes me very annoyed.

libby said...

Cro..once the nuns have scared the bejeezus out of you when you are a child about your mortal soul and the fires of hell, being a thief just isn't an option.......

adventuresinrealityblog said...

This post made me laugh a lot...

There's nothing like a bit of righteous indignation now and then - I was once such a stickler for the rules that I made a colleague hand back a box of clotted cream biscuits he was given by a supplier in case it was perceived as a backhander. FFS!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I must admit that when I was 26 or 27 after a heavy drinking session, I got up in the middle of the night, opened the wardrobe door and pissed in Shirley's red wellingtons. She saw it all but I could not remember a thing but sure enough both wellingtons were half full. However, I never stole jewellery.

libby said...

Mr AG....you say 'I was once...' does this mean we need to call you Godfather now......nah...can't see it...you are a true gent.
YP..well this puzzles me...did you sway from side to side and fill each boot equally??, whatever,I respect you for admitting to this and wonder if you ever stole anything other than jewellery??

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Apples and once a pint of milk from somebody's doorstep. I was wild in those days!

libby said...

YP...we all have our own internal moral compass..I'm sure the apples and milk didn't count...a sort of rite of passage thing maybe...and are you never wild in any way nowadays?