Friday, January 8, 2016

An old fool.....

You might know that the one and only time I don't have a pen and paper to hand somewhere in my pocket or bag or car I will need one.
I am the owner of a laptop, a kindle, a fancy phone that I can use hands free in the car 'cos the car has a 'press this button on the dashboard' and just like ET you can phone home..or anywhere.. facility, yet through ignorance or being a scaredy cat and thinking I will break the world wide web or laziness or a mixture of all three, I am barely scratching the surface with how to use any of them.......I just need to read emails, use the internet and take photographs.  So I was cross with myself about an hour ago when  I seemed to lose the ability to use any technology and wished with all my heart that I had a pen and paper in my grasp.
The reason? well this afternoon I was sat in traffic minding my own business when with a loud thwack a car went into the back of mine. I got out to see that someone had gone into the back of him...thus causing the domino line of cars...me at the front.
I'm not very quick thinking but as I got out of my car I grabbed my phone. The two young lads behind me both had their phones and after agreeing that we were all ok and that we needed to swap details, I felt like such a fool when I could'nt remember my insurers name and then felt even more foolish when the lad at the very back wondered why I was taking so long to put his name and # into my phone...slowly and precisely it was one letter or digit at a time and I have never felt like such an old duffer in all my days...my fingers were a little shaky and he spotted it and  then volunteered to do it for me so I handed my phone over and 'whoosh' just like every other young person in my life the info was there. He was driving a sporty bmw with a personalised plate and he initially denied being the cause of the collision. Whatever.......I just hoped that I looked a little more in control when I took some pictures.....number plates and location etc., before he said 'alright here then?' and sped off.
The young chap who went into the back of me seemed to be a bit worried about how this will now proceed and seemed far more concerned than young Mr BMW.........of the three of us, the chap at the very back (the cause) was young and unconcerned and confident, the middle guy seemed a little older and fed up and anxious and unsure of himself, and I felt about 100 years old! Sigh.........

12 comments:

auntiegwen said...

Lordy Lordy x how awful x sending you love x have some cake or chocolate for the shock xxxxx

libby said...

AG - thank you darlin' - going to have to keep off the cake and chocolate for a while post xmas but will be having a (low alcohol) wine to take the edge off! Will check with the mister re a date for us all to get together and email you xx

Joanne Noragon said...

In the midst of all those dashboard thingys I have a pen stuck in one of those stick on pen holders from Staples. I write on my hand. I have not graduated to thinking I could record all this in my phone--but I know people who do just that.

About Last Weekend said...

I know exactly what you mean, I would be the person going slow too, and the others wanting to take off. Always hard in those circumstances to be firm and assertive and make sure people stay around until you've got what you want.
Had a terrible experience with a young chap who went into the back of me, called his stepdad who pleaded with me they would pay me direct, not to call the police, never paid, never paid. then six months later abused me by phone.
After that sadly I learned you have to take all the details, photos and just hand it over to the insurance.

Cro Magnon said...

One of Lady Magnon's Christmas presents was a simple pen and pad for her handbag.

libby said...

Joanne, my first thought was to grab a pen and I nearly always have one..not this time. As for writing on your hand a teacher told me off for that many years ago and I've never done it since..you rebel you!
ALW..how horrible for you, I hope it got resolved eventually. My insurers have all the details now and truth be told there is no damage to my car...it all seems to be the guy in the middle who has that.
Cro...and what a thoughtful gift that is...small simple and useful.

Nana Go-Go said...

I passed a two-car accident the other day at a local roundabout and was most impressed that the lady driver of one of the cars (someone went into the back of her too) had in hand a large paper notepad and pen and was scribbling down details. It reminded me to start keeping a pen and paper in my car too. As for modern technology, my friends presented me with a lovely Christmas gift of a state-of-the-art phone, which I'm having great trouble getting to grips with! I liked my old phone which had 'green for go' and 'red for stop' buttons! This new phone seems to do everything but wash the dishes!!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

So sorry to hear about your accident Libby. I can picture the BMW driver in my mind's eye and for your sake I hope that the careless idiot has insurance! Have you reported the accident to the police? I must say that I would have done just in case insurance companies require it.

libby said...

Nana...thank you...what fine friends you have, such a lovely gift, but I like the sound of your old phone!
YP...thank you - all relevant parties have been contacted but truth be told there is no damage to the car and I told the insurance company I was ok so I'm just putting it behind me now (no pun intended!).

Trish Burgess said...

All my car accidents (there have only been three) have always just involved me and my inability to judge width. Two of the three involved me and my own garage. Thankfully this means I don't need to take my own details after an accident and show myself up.

libby said...

Trish.....so you have a problem judging size eh? I am swerving an ooh matron joke now you know...x

Pam said...

Oh, what a pain. So sorry. Can I say Happy New Year all the same or would that sound too ironic? Sigh.