Friday, July 18, 2014

Just in case you were wondering.........

The last couple of weeks have been quite up and down in an emotional way.
Good bits and bad.....such is life.
My Ma has a tumour on her colon and will be going into
hospital....my Pa is a nervous wreck and their days
alternate between optimism and depression.
She will, hopefully, have the tumour removed and all will be well.
Although the nearby lymph nodes are inflamed there is no sign of a spread to the lungs or liver...which is good. Having a cancer diagnosis though has made her mentally move into
that 'have to start planning for ... ' frame of mind and she is
sorting out clothes and cupboards (with assistance) and saying things
like 'oh well .... we all have to die of something...sigh' .....BUT.....a little later
says to me 'why am I going to the hospital?' for she is showing signs
of forgetting things and questioning things and being confused.
The very lovely colorectal nurse mused that perhaps this was, in a perverse way, not a bad thing........we shall see.
I have been sorting out and clearing out my sisters house which is now
up for sale. Hopefully after the upcoming open day it will be sold and
a new chapter can begin for her. Looking at flats for her to buy though has been
a reminder to me that we are very very different and have different needs or wants.
I see a lovely property that is in the right price range (one that I would move in to) and
she wrinkles her face up and says 'ugh no I don't like it'.....
and then she perks up as she points to a grotty dive that looks like
somewhere I wouldn't park my bike.......if my bike ever left the garage and wasn't covered in dust.
To give her a break from Ma and Pa I took her to Weston for a couple of nights.....a mini holiday if you will...we were lucky and the sun shone....sitting on the pier reminded me of how I long to be a pensioner...this going to work and fitting everything else in is a right royal pain in the arse.
Last week, and for the first time, I went to a cricket match....a 20-20 Warwickshire/Worcestershire game at Edgbaston. I loved it and had a really good time...and thankfully Warwickshire won.
Our 32nd wedding anniversary was celebrated by me and the mister having a lovely couch and drink at the local Electric cinema to see 'Cold in July' courtesy of the Kids....the film was really really good and for the first time I thought Don Johnson was very handsome as I had never watched Miami Vice.
Yesterday my gorgeous daughter had three yes three wisdom teeth removed at Guys dental hospital in London and I did a day train there and back in a mad fit of  'mom wants to come and look after you whether you need her to or not'....the procedure was quick and the views from the 23rd floor were really great...and the shard is right next door! who knew? and after a lovely little wander around borough market and the south bank where my girl was quite chirpy the drugs started to wear off .......oh dear...ouch....so she is back with us here at home..in her 'smartened up a bit' bedroom for a couple of days of tlc......and I love her being here.
My son and daughter in law are off on honeymoon this weekend and  later in the year me and the mister are Seattle bound......it will be my first thanksgiving in the US.
We did recently manage a quick visit to the coast for my brother in laws 'special' birthday...good times were had. It is important to have plans and to organise outings or visits or somesuch..time and circumstance permitting of course. We do what we do.
I am trying to be a bit healthier food wise...so I made a butter bean/pea/parmesan thingy to put on sourdough bread.....there was too much lemon and although that was ok it was the fact that it looked like something the cat had sicked up that meant I won't rush to make it again.............anyhoo.............
...that is where things are with me and mine....and I do read all my blogmates posts but just haven't been able to comment much lately.....onwards and upwards though eh? One foot in front of the other.
p.s.I have friends (both blogger and In real life) that I want to meet up with and need to make time to see..if you are reading this then please bear with me....just know that I am looking forward to trips/visits. x


13 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

This expression caught my eye - "lovely couch". Is that a Midlands euphemism for hanky panky? Sounds like your life has been much too busy of late but perhaps that is far preferable to emptiness.

Nota Bene said...

If your mum's memory is slipping, I suspect it's just stress...the more stressed I get, the more I forget...apart from that all sounds good....

K Ville said...

Hate it when I do something 'clever' with food and it looks like cat vomit. It is not a rare occurance in my culinary world.

Nice to hear from you, boo to the lows and yey to the highs xx

Cro Magnon said...

20-20 Cricket is a good invention. You get to see a whole game, there is a winner and loser, and they usually try pretty hard. You may not enjoy Test Matches quite so much.

Hope your Ma is OK.

Steve said...

Gosh, such a busy time for you. Sorry to hear about your mum but it sounds like the doctors are well on top of it. And I'm pleased to see there are good happening amongst the bad; sometimes that's the best anyone can hope for.

auntiegwen said...

Sending you the love, as aye xxx

Isabelle said...

That sounds very full-on. Keep atrong!

Trish Burgess said...

News about your mum sounds positive, hope all goes well. Glad you had fun at the cinema and the cricket.
You the getting good at these collages!

Jay said...

Gosh you have so much on your plate just now, I hope all can be sorted for your mum, I can't believe you enjoyed a cricket match!!

Marcheline said...

Sorry about your mum's diagnosis... hopefully they'll get it out and that will be that.

As for food looking like cat puke, I suppose I don't really mind what it looks like if it tastes good. The recipe you described? I'd serve it in a shallow dish with the sourdough bread cubed and toasted and put on top, sprinkled with parmesan cheese. That way you could eat it without looking at it!

And boy, do I relate regarding sisters and their different tastes... my sister and I, though we love each other dearly, are as different as City Mouse and Country Mouse when it comes to homes, decor, clothing, you name it. We've found, like you, that it's better to be generally supportive of each other than to try to help specifically pick things out for each other. Ha!

Curry Queen said...

Sending you much empathy on the elderly, infirm mum front! Sometimes life is exhausting is't it but glad you have some good amongst the trying!

About Last Weekend said...

Gosh its been incredibly busy for you and emotionally up and down as well. That is really hard and you are being such a good daughter spending so much time and energy and love on your parents. Nice also that you could be with your daughter, you deserved that weeny break you got.

take care!

sensibilia said...

Sorry to hear that your mother has cancer. Treatment and care have improved out of all recognition over the last thirty years, so keep cheerful. Hope the three day week makes a difference, although it sounds like you are totally absorbed by family!