Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Lots of driving in one day..........

I awoke at 2am this morning and then couldn't get back to sleep.
My Pa was in the spare room and we had to get up really early in order to drive North for the funeral of my cousin.
Although we weren't leaving until 6.30 I was up at 5 and made Pa some breakfast and then just after 6 in pitch black wet windy weather we set off up the motorway.
Most of the time we were between huge lorries carrying all sorts of stuff all over the country.
I do find driving in the dark with bright lights ahead/behind and all around quite unpleasant sometimes and so I was concentrating hard on the road.
Along the way Pa related to me the same old stories he shares with anyone who will listen.
I cannot tell you how many times I have heard about Hal Monty or working on the Mersey or travelling around the UK by boat or The Moss Empire circuit of theatres or an anecdote about a family member.
Later on, in the crematorium, and although we were family, Pa chose to sit quite near the back as he had a tickly cough and didn't want to drive everybody mad with it.
It occurred to me that each  time I have been at a Crematorium, I have had the good fortune to not be sat up front and central if you know what I mean........where the bereaved and grieving and very close family are.
I have been sat in the 'every one else' seats...........and as I was sat there this morning with Pa I realised that we were sitting in what I now think of as 'the good seats'.

5 comments:

auntiegwen said...

Yep, I like those seats much better xxx

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Sitting in the good seats? Did the ice cream woman come round with her tray? Good time for a choc-ice methinks.

About Last Weekend said...

"I have heard about Hal Monty or working on the Mersey or travelling around the UK by boat or The Moss Empire circuit of theatres or an anecdote about a family member." Classic. This and the tickly cough remind me of my dad. My sisters and me reckon lately that he either stays very quiet or holds forth with same stories.

Nota Bene said...

May be you could turn some of Pa's tales into blog posts for us all to enjoy...and stick to the good seats, I'm sure we'd all like to be in those seats all the time...

Trish Burgess said...

I agree with Nota Bene - share please!
Any room for one more in those seats? I could sit on the arm?