Saturday, August 24, 2013

Saturday pleasures.....

As I was eating my breakfast this morning, (and yes that is cremated bacon and tomato on toast, it is true I will never be thin), I was looking at edible gifts I very luckily received this week from friends.....beans from one chap and walnuts from another. Now don't get me wrong, this girl may like diamonds but when a chap
brings you something he has grown himself there is still a little frisson of excitement. I am so easily pleased....or a cheap date........anyhoo.
I also had some rye bread that the mister had experimented with earlier in the week and then said he wasn't too keen on and probably wouldn't eat.
I was in a Nigel Slater waste nothing mood and so put  together a bread and butter pudding with the bread, nuts, fruit, milk, cream and eggs, with some sugar and vanilla extract, with hope that it will be a decent pudding for after dinner.....
The mister then made a pan of sauce for a lasagne and then both dinner and pudding were put in the oven.
Instead of then doing the dusting and hoovering and tidying etc., that I should do at the weekend I decided to drive through the countryside locally and mooch at the books in the local charity shops.....the one pictured here caught my eye for some reason....it must have been the garish colours of the cover.....ahem.

I do need to think about a new way to cook the beans though....................any suggestions?

11 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

No suggestions about the beans but I'd be happy to give you a nice fat courgette I've grown. I guess it's not only men whose hearts are accessed through their stomachs.

Cro Magnon said...

Beans: Lightly salt boiling water, cook beans for 13 minutes, sauté drained beans in butter and garlic, then place in dustbin.

Nana Go-Go said...

We'll just call you 'Tom and Barbara' from now on!Living the Good Life indeed.Those beans and I don't get on so I avoid them like the plague!Good harvest you've had though and I love the bread and butter pudding idea. Best of all, you did a collage!!!Have a good week,Libs. x

Steve said...

Nothing like the magic of husbanding produce from the soil to get a girl's heart all of a flutter.

Jay said...

I love gifts of home grown or homemade food, having said that I just love food! Beans are not my favourite veg but I do sometimes throw them into a stir fry.

Curry Queen said...

Cook the beans in a spicy tomato-based sauce. Delicious with cold meats.

About Last Weekend said...

You had me at Bacon and tomatoes...but no eggs? you have to have eggs with that! Wish someone would make me that glorious kind of bread and butter pud, will wait to be home with Mum.

Nota Bene said...

Food parcels! Always welcome!

K Ville said...

Broad beans? Just boil them for a few minutes and mix them into a salad. Runners stir fry well.

Isabelle said...

What about the walnuts?

Trish Burgess said...

We love watching Nigel Slater though must admit we laugh a lot, particularly last week when he wondered what to do with a few leftover cherries. Whereas most of us would just eat them on their own, Nige slaved over a rice pudding ice creamy thing which must have cost a fortune....just to use up half a dozen cherries. Will still watch him this week!