Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Dilemma.....

Shall I tell you what I hate about Bosses?
Shall I?
Not that you need to know........
but that isn't going to stop me from typing is it?
Remember that Paul Whitehouse character on Harry Enfield?
The geezer who is *imagine wavy hand movement* a bit 'woah'.. a bit slippery.
Indicating that he is on the wrong side of the law.
I am reminded of this way of operating just lately at work.
No law breaking takes place...but morally things are distorted and people are not treated well.
Bosses want to have everything....they want to have things both ways don't they?
They want you to be a little bit 'woah' and break rules and use smoke and mirrors to get a result.
At almost any cost.
They call it being creative.
They also want to be able to do daily checks and have daily assurances that everything is done correctly.
Accounted for......ticked and right.
They want to have it all.
I know....they are the Boss....they can have what they ask for. I get it.
But help me out here management......
I am an old fashioned girl who doesn't cut corners, who doesn't make up stats and figures
and who, sadly, because I wish I could be like the others, I do dot the i's and cross the t's.
Tell me or show me how to be both.......above board and straight... and.... 'woah' in the way I operate.
Actually.......don't tell me......I shall just carry on being who and what I am .... boring and plodding maybe but always there, always reliable, and ensuring that I do my best.

Managers come and go.....our office has had 8 in the last 2 yrs.....the rest of us are still working away and looking forward to retiring.....or winning the lottery!

12 comments:

Nota Bene said...

Ah..I know what you mean...I wondered about this news story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20338042

Cro Magnon said...

I agree. Always best to do stuff CORRECTLY; then no-one can rig any comeback.

sensibilia said...

Sounds awful. The workplace just isn't what it was 30 years ago. Or maybe it is, and it is us that have changed, seeing things differently, being more critical.

libby said...

NB....This sort of story makes me really cross.....there is a sort of cavalier attitude manifest across a whole swathe of bankers and politicians and powerful people..a 'we are alright...balls to the rest of you'..way of being.
Cro....I am too old and set in my ways to adopt 'woah' behaviour at this stage in the game...and it just isn't my nature.
Sensibilia.....Starting with a Saturday job I have been working since I was 14 in one way or another....now at 58 I feel I have really had enough!

Steve said...

Totally, totally sympathise... I know exactly where you are coming from.

About Last Weekend said...

Would have thought when it comes to work no one wants a person who's whoah, bit leery, bit you know. How sad that he values that sort of nonsense. Stick to doing to properly.

libby said...

Steve...come the revolution......
ALW...Have to ...that's the way I'm made....and nothing lasts forever I guess so roll on retirement!

Andy said...

Ah I feel that Libby, I've managed to roll with the punches so far, but tongues have been bitten.....

Marcheline said...

I used to work for a biotch that ran a home health care agency. The caregivers were mostly from poor countries, immigrants to the USA, had no bank accounts, so they had to pay money to have their measly checks cashed on payday.

The biotch gave them "holiday bonuses" at Christmas. And then proceeded to have me (I worked in payroll) deduct money from their paychecks (at a later date, of course) which cancelled out their bonuses.

And this biotch was married to my father. Talk about hating one's boss!!!

libby said...

Andy...I'm a bit better now..have ranted and am now back on the wheel...but one day..one day..
M..how awful! are they still married?

Curry Queen said...

Completely sympathise. Roll on retirement (and that's a phrase I never thought I'd hear myself say!)

libby said...

CQ....thank you....but we all want retirement on our own terms don't we?..here's hoping.