Monday, November 12, 2012

Chandeliers and candles.......

Although we visited Copenhagen at the right time (good weather, empty tourist spots etc.,) I think a week or two later would be a good idea for another time, as there was lots of Christmas preparation going on and seeing everywhere lit up would be smashing....as it was I was entranced by the use of chandeliers and candles everywhere. My kids say that our dining room looks like Blackpool illuminations now as I have tried to re-create the atmosphere with candles on every available surface!

The City was wonderful and it was only apparent at Gatwick on our return home, where we witnessed an argument between two 'lively' families returning from Spain, that we realised we had not once heard a raised voice in Copenhagen. The Danish people really do cycle everywhere in their special bike lanes and overall there is a quiet, competent, compliant atmosphere, where people do not shout or jaywalk or drop litter or push into each other or shout. Not zombie like, just easy and sensible. I love flatlands and we must have walked ourselves silly during our time there, always finding some street or statue or gallery around a corner or at each turn, and when walking was not an option we did have Copenhagen cards, which were truly worth while.....no worrying about finding fares for each journey and  gave us entrance to so many museums or canal trips or exhibitions. We took the train up to Helsingore one day, the beautiful Castle that in a famous play is known by the name of Elsinore. We had the place to ourselves and at the beautiful new art gallery close by we saw a new installation that is a companion piece to the little mermaid...
The Merman.

As this was a birthday trip for me, my mister booked tickets for us to go to see Madame Butterfly at the beautiful new opera house, and although we were so high up you could get a nose bleed the view was fine and the novelty of getting a water taxi across to the building and then back again after the show was really fun....

We did visit lots of Castles, museums, and tourist attractions and have some delicious open sandwiches,  and in fact we would love to return one day, as there were districts we didn't get to see..........so after Christmas we start saving for our 'weekend away trip before grandchildren' yearly jaunt!
Oh and if I knew how to make a small photo mosaic then I could post a few more pics...Copenhagen is a fabulous place to visit and I snapped away constantly.......but if you are still reading this you may be beyond bored by now...so if you get the chance, go visit Denmark yourself......only just under 2hrs away and well worth the trip.

17 comments:

Nota Bene said...

Sounds lovely....never been there myself...hope you do get back there

Cro Magnon said...

You've tempted me. I'd never thought about visiting Denmark before.

Trish @ Mums Gone To... said...

I'm so pleased you loved Copenhagen and, like us, were touched by the attitude of the people there. Sounds like you had a fabulous time. Good to hear the Copenhagen card was worth getting.

Ps - if you want to try doing a photo collage, go onto a site called Picmonkey, click on 'collage' then upload your photos. Choose a design and have a fiddle about with background colours etc. Once you have it right you click save and it saves it in your photo folder on your PC. It's not too hard and I can help you if you get stuck.

libby said...

NB.....maybe one day we will, but there are an awful lot of places to see aren't there?
Cro...you could take a long long drive there I suppose? stopping along the way? how lovely for you to be on mainland Europe...

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Libby - How much did the Danish tourist authority give you to write this? I'm surprised you didn't mention Danish bacon, Great Danes or "Barbie Girl" by Aqua. By the way, are you? A Barbie girl I mean? Next time I guess your Danish trip will include Legoland!....Glad you had a nice birthday break with your master/mister.

libby said...

Trish...thanks for the tip..off to have a play with pics now!
YP.....I think my mister (never master) used to date 'Barbie girls' when he was younger until he met me many years ago..and I am so far from what I imagine you to mean by Barbie girls..but he knew a good thing when he saw it and the rest is history...and if the Danish Tourist Board would pay for it I would return in a New York Minute!

auntiegwen said...

It sound so lovely, will definitely out it on my list of places to go xx belated happy birthday too xxx

sensibilia said...

You have really convinced me! Hubby has been suggesting Copenhagen from time to time as a short break, but I thought it would be boring. I thought all there would be to see was the little mermaid!

Sounds much more interesting than I imagined. On the to-do list for next year.

libby said...

AG...thank you sweetie xx
S....I suppose it depends what bores you...there are still all the familiar stores from here if shopping is your thing, but castles and statues abound.

Steve said...

I'm definitely feeling a yearning now...

libby said...

Steve....put a poultice on it!

Curry Queen said...

It's years since I went to Copenhagen but you've given me the bug again!

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Yes, I've got a yearning for Copenhagen now too but I've just booked into Venice around this time next year (hope it hasn't washed away). Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog and Many Happy Returns birthday girl :-)

About Last Weekend said...

I've still never been to Copenhagen and this makes me want to go and breathe the fresh peaceful air. My sister has a lot of friends there and she says they never work past 5pm, all time after that is family time. Very civilised.

libby said...

CQ....most people I have met who have been seem to really like it.
LM..thank you...and Venice is beautiful...it will be lovely for you.
ALW..yes we noticed that the rush hour was in full swing (on bicycles)between 4-5...a practice other countries should copy perhaps.

Marcheline said...

Looks like fun! Not sure why you can't just post a billion pics like I do almost every post - you shouldn't have to make mosaics (those are never good anyway because you can't see them properly). I don't think there's a limit. POST MORE PICS! 8-)

libby said...

M...OK!