Monday, October 8, 2012

Up to London.......

What springs to mind if your niece (who lives in London) tells you she is going away for a few weeks? Initially, of course, it is how lovely - have a great time - oh to be young and thin and gorgeous again...long sigh..........................but then you think hold on....a flat in Hampstead all empty? Have'nt been to London for ages........and so a plan is hatched. My sister will travel up from Kent, I will travel from ooop north as she says, and we will have a weekend of girl (oh ok ...middle aged lady) time......shopping, talking, eating, drinking, topping up our culture level (quite a big ask actually..) and generally stepping out of our normal routine.
I give you then, our weekend in pictures................












We started with champagne, we hopped on and off the tube like locals (thanks sis...great navigational skills there), the pub at the end of the road caused us to sigh....not because we were going in or coming out, but because seeing it heralded the start of a long slow climb that our old legs struggled with. Shopping ensued and the images of Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama (no...it is not my sister....although ...wait...there is a likeness somewhere....) who is currently all over Selfridges like a rash (spots...rash...geddit?) is quite unsettling I think..I'm not sure I like all those little mini me's.....so as darkness fell it was time to visit the National Portrait Gallery (and yes the view from the restaurant upstairs is fabulous) where we both increased our wrinkles by being puzzled by the Anna Wintour portrait.  We finished the day with more fizz and then awoke to beautiful blue skies on Saturday. A quick walk across the Heath, where the circus was in town.....is there a Mr Zippo do you think? and we had another lovely day that included walks in St Johns Wood, Primrose Hill, Hampstead, Camden, with tasty tea and cakes along the way, finishing off with light supper at The Freemason Arms Downshire Hill which is close to our 'home from home' for the weekend.
Our time together did include all the things we wanted it to.......walking/talking/drinking fizz/shopping/seeing some sights/breaking the routine. Not that there is anything wrong with the routines we both have......we are blessed to have family, homes, jobs, but every now and then there is something good about doing something  new or out of the ordinary, and we had a splendid time, but the older I get, just like Dorothy, the more I fully endorse the maxim 'there's no place like home'. Until the next time of course..........

17 comments:

hausfrau said...

What a treat - and it's the being away from there occasionally that helps you appreciate home!

Trish @ Mums Gone To... said...

Sounds like you had a great time although your last few sentences made me realise that I too am feeling a bit like Dorothy as I get older. I love my travelling, it's great to experience new things but more and more I feel the urge to stay put and the sense of comfort and warmth from being at home has become very strong.

Kelloggs Ville said...

didn't decide to tag a painting at the Tate did you whilst you were there?!

Nota Bene said...

Looks splendid...you must encourage your niece to go away more often!

Cro Magnon said...

Visiting London is so tiring, but it's the only way to see things. When one lives in London, one generally sees nothing; just the insides of one's office, tube, and flat.

libby said...

Hausfrau, yes, it was a treat and we thoroughly enjoyed it...but my own bed last night was heavenly!
Trish, like you we now have lots of little trips away (will email you re Copenhagen nearer the time if that is ok) but I do wish we had been able to do more when the kids were smaller too....there was always too much month at the end of the money then.
K....tag? tag? you do remember I'm old don't you??
NB...well as she starts a new job this week I think she may be staying put for a while...we shall see.
Cro.....my sister did live in London for many years and said the same as you.......she also lived in LA in a house with a pool and never swam in it...that always amazed me!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Sounds like a super weekend with plenty of walking too. I wonder why you omitted photos of Justin the male stripper in "The Freemason Arms" - you know - the one who dragged you up on stage. I guess "The Mister" would not have approved...Oops - I just thought - maybe he reads this blog too. Sorry!

libby said...

YP.....you would need a strong hoist and a strong stomach to see me up on a stage of any sort..and I never could see the attraction of those fullmonty type acts....men look so much better with boxers on not off!

Steve said...

Looks like you had a fab time!

About Last Weekend said...

Your weekend consisted of a great cross section of everything great about London from the kooky dressers, cream teas and champers. Now I have to see that portrait of La Anna!

libby said...

Steve...we did, we are very lucky.
ALW....the portrait (Alex Katz) was large and very...odd.

Curry Queen said...

What a treat! It's so good to break out from time to time and do something different, isn't it?!

libby said...

CQ....can't wait to do it again.

auntiegwen said...

Libs - and you blew off a Birmingham Uni open day with me and Jack for that??? call yourself a friend... only joking, we must try and get together soon, much love xxxx

libby said...

AG....horrible are'nt I?...email me and let me know how it went.....it was lovely to see you both the other week...we will work something out xx

Nana Go-Go said...

Just did all that in reverse!My BFF was here from Kent last week....and now I'm very,very tired!!Yours was a great weekend by all accounts. Lovely pics too. x

libby said...

Nana...hope you had fun, however tired you are now.....any pics on yours?