Sunday, July 22, 2012

Witterings......

Last year I started to read Wolf Hall. Not a small book. Fairly large and heavy. Each night in bed I would almost put my back out lifting it from the bedside table and then twisting my self around so that I could rest the thing on a cushion before me. What with the 'days end' face, the reading glasses, the t-shirt and the bank of pillows behind me (I like to be propped up in bed before sleep....Lawd knows eventually I will want one of those bed jackets that old ladies wear...........y'see the fact that I even know what a bed jacket is scares me......) and possibly a mug of hot chocolate, I must have been a sultry sexy sight to behold for the mister. Anyway I almost got wrist strain trying to read the thing and gave up. Well I suppose, truth be told, at that time I just wasn't gripped by it......until now when I am trying it again on the Kindle.....so far so fabulous.

At 4:50 on Friday, just before leaving work, my boss wanted a word......no.... it wasn't my P45 but without boring details suffice to say I have been shafted re roles and have to move onto another job in order to accommodate someone returning from maternity leave. I don't much care either way what I do, but the returning person is well known for being work shy, argumentative, lazy (and also someone that says 'he writ that letter then'...which drives me mad....grrrrr) and the whole swapping roles and responsibilities thing was handled really badly, but what really really upset me (although I hope I hid it well) was that as a 57 year old woman, when my late 20 something boss was telling me this, I wanted to cry!!!!!! I so wanted to stand up say  'take your job and shove it'........but not having that luxury, instead I explained that I wasn't happy but wished him a good weekend and then got my coat.  When I got home I weeded like a demon in the garden for an hour (there was no rain!!!) muttering away to myself and feeling all teary.......and now I just have to knuckle down and keep buying the lottery tickets I guess.

Uni., daughter is away for the weekend, and has left behind tons of stuff that she no longer wants - before Pa takes it all to the tip or the charity shop, because she knows I am a control freak, she said I could go through it all first (I know....that sounds terrible doesn't it? but I am such a hoarder and need to know what is and isn't being disposed of.....she accommodates this up to a point and I am working on just letting things go..watch this space..) and I am so glad I did......along with old make up and broken bits of this and that, she was throwing out her school class photos.....those cardboard tubes with a long photo inside that you wait for and pay for and have fun looking for your child in.........I mean, I know most photos are on computers now...but really?...I couldn't bear it and so have put them to one side....does that make me really pathetic?

I was also totting up the cost of all the magazines she has collected over the years (and I must say she has lovingly gone through each one) and Vogue, Harpers et al don't come cheap! A four foot high pile of very expensive pictures of beautiful clothing has cost us a fortune over the years.................and I remember doing exactly the same thing with my son when he moved out and we did the same with his collection of Empire/cinema/superhero type mags.......years and years of collecting ended in one afternoon of clearing out.

Note to self...........perhaps if we hadn't bought so many expensive magazines for our kids I could have given up work!!!!!


We ripped up/took up the carpet from our bedroom yesterday, and once we have slapped some magnolia on the walls, we will be having new solid wood flooring laid.......I am very excited about this, because, apart from being sick of seeing the cat hair that the hoover will just not pick up, no matter how hard I try, the new flooring will mean I can update my bedroom, with new curtains and a tweak or two here and there, and this makes me excited because I am a sad bugger who gets excited about such little things these days. No rushing off to Paris with a toyboy for me.....let me loose in soft furnishings and I get quite giddy.

Lastly (because let's face it - if you are still reading by now you must need a break and a trip back to normality) this is a photo of a mirror frame that was in the storeroom of a church on Paxos....don't you think it is just fabulous? and come to think of it would look great in my new bedroom......sigh.


Have a good week everybody x

12 comments:

Steve said...

I echo your sentiments regarding the lottery... each week I hope and each week I'm disappointed.

Nana Go-Go said...

Your boss is a nob....how kind of him to spare you the last 10 minutes of the week to let you know about the changes. I'm a firm believer in what-goes-around-comes-around so don't worry, he'll get his come-uppance one day.
I gave away all of my son's Empire mags on Freecycle - but I told him a white lie and said they'd gotten all mouldy lying in their boxes in the shed - technically, this wasn't a huge lie because that did happen to some of them,the rest I got fed up of stubbing my toes against every time I needed something from the back of the shed so out they went!
Nothing wrong with feathering your nest and sounds like your bedroom will be a little haven for you when it's finished. Scour your local junk/charity shops for a similar mirror - I'm sure you'll find something even nicer for your bedroom.
Have a great week, Libs.x

Kelloggs Ville said...

She's still young. In ten years she'll thank you for hanging onto those photos.

Curry Queen said...

Not wishing to stir things but is what your boss has done entirely legal? Might be worth investigating if you felt like a fight! And no, you are not batty for saving photos. I have a sentimental streak a mile wide and when my boy left 6th Form, I bought an expensive, framed photo of the sixth formers for him as I thought it would be a lovely memento. the little toad tried to throw it out the other day!!

About Last Weekend said...

That is so so frustrating! I feel bubbling just thinking about it. Is there anything you can do or say, could you call a meeting with him. Sounds like you are a hard worker and a loyal employee and they take you for granted. What would happen if you made a fuss about it? Yes, as Curry Queen says there is something not quite legal about his actions. I save even broken ceramic things my kids made at age four, can't bear to throw them away!

Isabelle said...

Of course you have to keep the school photos.

Grr about the job. Hmm. And suchlike remarks.

libby said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment everyone...you are good people x

Macy said...

I've got a new boss tooD. I'm developing a theory that at some point in our lives we get too old to have bosses.
Probably because we know it all by then...

Marcheline said...

Keep the photos. BUY THAT FRAME!

sensibilia said...

Each time my daughters bring me a bag of stuff to take to the charity shop, I go through it and keep stuff. I have a collection of hoodies, scarves and jewellery from these sources.

Scriptor Senex said...

I've come over here from Marcheline.

I couldn't get on with Wol;f Hall p- though I enjoyed the plot andf had to finish it. I found the constant references to 'He' without indicating whether it was Cromwell or the he of the last sentence most annoying. A few times I had to re-read a paragraph to see who had done what. Perhaps it was just me.

libby said...

Macy...agreed.....I need to retire!
Marcheline...the frame wasn't a buyable option sadly..
S....can you imagine the rolling of the eyes from our girls if they saw us?
SS..welcome.....and I so agree about WH! I thought I was being dim by having to constantly check who said what...haven't finished it yet mind you.