Saturday, May 12, 2012

Feeling dizzy.....

I am wearing my dressing gown. I have had my must have cup of tea. The day will unwind in front of me and so I really should go and shower/get dressed in order to meet it and not look like a care in the community gal.
Yet I need to just take 5 minutes to ponder on whether or not I should try to join in with all this modern-ness and youthful-ness that is going on in the blogosphere. I have spent the last hour reading blogs and am becoming increasingly aware that I skim over or ignore a blog that could potentially be interesting to read, but I am put off if it looks too busy. If it has abbreviated posts and lists of what has been written/said on twitter and lots of badges and things that move and adverts and links to this that and the other.
If,  just like choosing a book  to read (remember those?), the cover either invites us in or waves us past, then some blogs are obviously not meant for the likes of me. I am aware that the fault lies with me....if I don't tweet or understand how to manoeuvre my way around technology then I should just stick with what I know and am comfortable with, but I am a bit afeared that I will become much more stick in the mud than I need to be and turn into an old crone pointing a craggy stick at young'uns and telling them to mind their manners.
In the same way that  I once loved Disco and clubs, now, a dark room full of sweaty people, dancing to very loud music all the while being illuminated by flashing lights would see me run (well in fact lets face it I don't run either...) in the opposite direction, and it would seem that today some blogs are disco and some are 'lovely place'....y'know 'lovely place' don't you? that perfect bar/restaurant/tea room that has just the right sort of seating, lighting, food, customers and mood that makes you want to visit again and again.
Pause for pondering here............
It might be fear that makes me feel this way though, I am aware of that.
So I might start another blog.
Some new place. With bells and whistles and music and whatnot.
More disco than whist drive.
No 'hot pants' though......won't make that mistake again.

13 comments:

Kelloggs Ville said...

Hmmm food for thought. You've had me staring critically at my template againwondering what I could remove, and I've already stripped a lot off it. I find bust pages distract me. My daughter watches tv, pertains to be doing homework and reads her Facebook all at the same time. Young brains love te stimulation. I can't read a letter she hands me from school without turning the tv down. I find that what I don't do or get makes me grumpy and I avoid it. But there is no way I'm going clubbing again, even dark loud restaurants annoy me.

Nana Go-Go said...

Don't be intimidated by all that stuff, Libs.....that's EXACTLY what it is...stuff, most of it non-important and totally unnecessary. Really interesting blogpost here re the technology thing.
http://thatsnotmyage.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/baroness-susan-greenfield-and-history.html

I only Facebook to spy on my sons (yes, I'm nosey like that!)and to stay connected with family and friends abroad. I can definitely live without Twitter and all the rest. I only have a Kindle because it was a Xmas gift from my boys but I still love the whole concept of visiting my local library.

I would much rather come here to read your blog which to me has 'human' and 'having something in common' elements than an all-singing,all-dancing,hollow piece of fluff.Besides, neon lights give me headaches!
Have a good weekend Libs.
ps How did the wedding go?

Steve said...

Do hope my blog isn't too busy! I do my best to keep it lazy looking!

Curry Queen said...

I agree with you - I'm put off also by flashing lights and too many ads - not to mention self-aggrandising "awards" (says she who has one prominently displayed but hey, it's the only one I've ever been given!!)

Macy said...

I'm getting really bad at surfing through new blogs. It's the subject and age of the writer that pulls me in usually.
And the mood I'm in.

Just as long as ther are no adverts.

Isabelle said...

Ah, no, don't do anything fancy. I can't really cope with fancy.

libby said...

K....turning the tv volume down to read? yep that's me!
Nana...very wise words from you as usual, and I might get a kindle soon, are they as good as people say? The wedding was lovely but I did take us to the wrong church initially.....
Steve.....I'm still reading your blog so that tells you something!
CQ...be proud of your award..just don't wrap it in neon..
Macy....we stick to the same path as we grow a little older ...
Isabelle....we have enough in our lives I think don't we....and maybe our age is reflected in our choices.

Marcheline said...

I've learned to put on blinders when I find a blog with a cool writer, if they've got all that sidebar nonsense, but it gets more difficult when they've got those pop-up ads that float in front of your face and FORCE you to click the "x" to make them go away.

My sidebar is utility only, really. Not nearly popular enough to have sponsors advertising! 8-)

As for your blog, I find the lack of doodads very peaceful and soothing.

Nota Bene said...

The rose is very peaceful....just the thing to set the mood. I may rush back and have a look at mine as it's not changed for yonks now...

Trish @ Mums Gone To... said...

When I first started blogging and came across some 'mummy blogs' I couldn't find the the actual posts with all the extras surrounding them. Have kept that in mind over the year so that the home page remains clean and easy to read. But it's tempting to sneak stuff in!

About Last Weekend said...

I actually so so agree and I'm always trying to look at see if my blog is as quiet as I like, with not too much noise at the side ... although sometimes I don't succeed. Also starting to feel edgy that I don't tweet, pinterest and the rest but I don't really want to start...

libby said...

Marcheline, yes those 'look at me NOW' pop up things are really annoying aren't they? As for popular? well I like your blog and I seem to have had the same # of people reading since I started - a plateau?
Trish, your blog is organised and tidy...and fun.
ALW, I love your new header by the way! and yes tweeting and all the rest will probably edge out blogging eventually anyway.....
NB...aaahhhhh...so sweet..you said 'yonks'! haven't heard that for ... well...yonks!!

sensibilia said...

I hope tweeting doesn't push out blogs. I like the leisurely, reflective pace of a good blog, and can always rely on a good read here, without any annoying distractions. It's about being fiftysomething, and gathering near other fiftysomethings. Don't go all flashy!