Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Nothing. Nada. Zip. What is a girl to do?

I've lost my shopping vibe.
Walked past the clothes in the shops today.
Ignored the make-up.
Glanced at the scent.
Cast a quick eye at handbags.
Pondered over some prints.
Dismissed slippers, purses, chocolates, CD's, DVD's and scented candles.
Stroked some cashmere throws and socks.
Looked longingly at some jewellery.
Considered some object knicky knacky type stuff. Reconsidered.
Breathed a big sigh over some books.
Wondered about underwear.
Realised that what I wanted I couldn't afford and what I could afford I didn't want.
Although even this didn't really bother me.
My 'this is the right thing to buy' instinct had deserted me and that made me sad.
I no longer know what presents to buy for loved ones.

I came home and did the washing instead.

It occurred to me that I was sad that I had no magic wand and that I was looking at 'stuff' when what I really would love to give is solutions or answers or wonderful surprises. No new slippers or scarves were going to be up to the job.
I cannot provide, wrapped up in a box with a big bow, any solution to a health problem, or a career, or
any dream come true......I am not a Fairy Godmother.
I am a mother, wife, sister, daughter, aunt, cousin, friend.
Christmas is coming and there WILL be presents under the tree....just not sure what yet.

8 comments:

Isabelle said...

I know what you mean. No one really needs the things that I could buy for them.

Steve said...

Ditto. Feel very uninspired materially this year.

auntiegwen said...

Buy gin, buy lots and give some away. Bake cakes, eat some and give some away.

You aren't that surrised at my advice are you? xxxx

sensibilia said...

What a lovely post. How thoughtful you are.

Why don't you make some home-made cookies, cakes or such, and hand-wrap them? That's nearly as good as giving a mother's love (which is where I think you are sort of aiming, here).

Macy said...

Libby, Libby, Libby, how is the country ever to come out of a recession if we all lose our shopping vibe???

Try the internet. It's warm and cosy and you get to meet lots of lovely postmen!

libby said...

Isabelle....and yet we do it every year don't we?
Steve...is it easier or harder for kids presents nowadays? more choice is not always good I guess..
AG..gin and cake....mmmm...and your advice is always spot on.xx
Sensibilia...thank you...I do love the 'hand made' present but it has to be in amongst the 'proper' stuff or the kids look at me as if I'm odd!
Macy...I'm giving the shopping another go today...let's see what happens....and the postmen around here are not people I'm desperate to meet...maybe north of the border they are all gorgeous!

Marcheline said...

I have two excuses for my lack of shopping vibe. 1) I have no money. 2) I prefer to hand-make gifts.

And this year I really, really have no money which means no money to buy craft materials with which to make things, so everyone in my family is basically screwed. Hope it's really the thought that counts... heh.

About Last Weekend said...

All it will take is one glance at a glittery frock on a website (or top) and you'll definitely get your mojo back. All good to be all those things to so many people though even without a new purse!