Saturday, September 3, 2011

Stooooooopidly wore the wrong shoes.......

London was great.
A little day out.
Initially, we were treated to the obligatory 'strange person on the train' on the journey there - he was very care in the community, but a big, big lad with a big suitcase and another bag, who constantly talked out loud to himself and anyone passing by, in quite an aggressive way the whole time......he put his suitcase across the seats and wouldn't let anybody sit at the table with him....he had that invisible force field around him that people could sense....you know, the scary one, but as the train filled up and more and more people approached his table only to receive a mouthful of abuse from him and you saw them slow down and wonder what to do about finding somewhere to sit, I had to stop the mister from going over and 'having a word' with him.....my mister is a bit on the eager side with regard to getting involved if he sees 'situations' occuring, as he would always want someone to intervene if me or the kids were scared or in trouble or being badly treated......but I am one of the 'don't get involved brigade', fearful of repercussions, so I have spent a lot of our years together ( rarely succesfully) holding him back or pulling him away, saying 'this is nothing to do with you...'. Luckily, as the mister stood up, a big chap got into 'words' with the nutter and plonked himself down in the seat beside him.
I am sure that the 'nutter' is someone who has lots of struggles in life and is deserving of sympathy, but a whole carriage full of people were united in keeping a watchful eye on where he was and having to listen to his loud, rude, aggressive words. I think it was only that his new neighbour was bigger than he was that shut him up temporarily.

Once we stepped into the sunshine, we decided to walk instead of taking the tube and so had a few lovely hours just strolling around. We were going to the Barbican to see South Pacific.......I know...strange huh?
but you see, I love love love musicals, and the mister hates hates hates musicals, and yet the only musical he would go to see is this one.......so he booked a matinee and some cheap train tickets . Apparently it was his moms favourite musical, (his mom has been dead for years) so he knew some of the songs as she had taken him to see the film many many times......as a child he remembers sitting in the darkened cinema watching his mom gaze up adoringly at Romana Brazzi (sp?) as Emile, and we raised a glass to her later in the pub. The show itself was good, I liked the theatre, but was not sure that the two married together somehow....and we had forgotten about the vague homosexual/racist tones in the story.......certainly it is not in my top ten of musicals, but the girl from 'stenders was very good and I was forced to sit and eat a whole box of maltesers that the mister gave me.....cruel eh? what is a girl to do......

Afterwards, pootering about here and there, stopping in little back street pubs, and strolling around like retired old codgers, we reflected on what was a lovely way to spend a day that would ordinarily have been a work day..it felt like pinching a day off school and being naughty. We are going to repeat the day sometime soon, but with no theatre plans, just a day of exploring and walking and being touristy again.

Top photo is enjoying a cool drink in the interval outside the Barbican......and I was impressed with how many people were using bikes in London.

A mixture of hours and hours of walking, in feet that got hot and sweaty (sorry...tmi?) in sandals that have always been comfy, but obviously were'nt made for pavement pounding, resulted in blisters on my feet now....cest la vie.......will wear flats next time..........and the train home was full....but devoid of any nutters.

8 comments:

Steve said...

No trip to London would be the same without an encounter with a Great British nutter!

Macy said...

I'm with you on the "don't get involved" school of thought.
Because I am a wimp.
Though I really applaud those who have the nerve to make a stand.
Glad Mr Libby didn't have to make a stand though.

Curry Queen said...

London as a (native) tourist is brilliant. I should do it more often ...you've inspired me!

hausfrau said...

Rossano Brazzi as it happens. Bit of a musical film fan!

libby said...

Steve...yes we grow them particularly well don't you think?
Macy....he only did'nt because I was holding on to his trouser leg as he stood up ... by the time he had disentangled himself from my ferocious grasp he was'nt needed...
CQ..ooh you're not a cockerneeee are you?..and I'm glad you feel inspired..
hausfrau...welcome! and thanks for calling in.....yes I realised it was Rossano but I had already posted and my 'can't be arsed gene' took over with regard to editing!! and musical film fan eh? join the club...a good musical, some cake and tea and I'm in heaven.....

Trish @ Mum's Gone To ... said...

I commented on this last night - got all emotional about South Pacific - but it isn't here :-(. This happened on your last post too. Will try again.
Fingers crossed x

libby said...

Hi Trish.....a couple of people have said that they can't post comments just recently...not sure why but will investigate......thanks for dropping by, I know you're a musical gal!x

Marcheline said...

My mom is also a fan of South Pacific... "Some Enchanted Evening".... it's a time warp thing. Great tunes!

I have grown to hate public transportation and theaters because of the regularity of having to put up with other people's "issues". I don't know if reality TV is to blame, but people seem to think that airing their emotional baggage in public is the thing to do - and when I'm trying to watch a movie, or to get from point A to point B, I don't really want to be forced to deal with that. I could very happily be a hermit, methinks.