Friday, September 16, 2011

Back home....

We have just had a week in Portugal.
Wall to wall great weather.
Doing very very little each and every day.
In fact for quite a few hours each day I would sit under one of these sun shades just idling away time.
Thinking about things, listening to the sort of music that hotels play quietly by the pool (which, apart from the Phil Collins, was mostly latin or jazz or Peggy Lee and mostly rather wonderful), dozing or reading. There were only Portuguese people in the hotel, and each woman or girl wore a bikini, whatever her size or shape, and so exposed lots of skin, mostly of  a lovely olive brown.......initially, when I took my place at the pool, wearing my sensible cossie (no high cut leg for me...oh no....they tend to bring the gusset up to 'split your personality' level...) and revealed my pasty white limbs, I felt a little embarrassed.....but that feeling left me after about 5 minutes....after all, who cares what I'm wearing or what I look like? and I regret that I didn't take a bikini with me......fancy getting to 57 and only just starting to feel truly comfortable with your body...how ridiculous is that? If I'm lucky enough to have another holiday next year then it will all be hanging out, white and pasty, lumpy and bumpy or not.

On our return I was surprised and delighted to see that Jody at
http://aboutlastweekend.blogspot.com/ had randomly picked me as the winner in a Friday giveaway! how lovely is that to return to? Now Jody is the sort of woman who I just know looks great on a beach...either in a bikini or a blanket!

So, now the unpacking is done (and yes we did take too much stuff...everyone does don't they?) and I am listening to the rain, I am quite happy to be home...we had a great week, even had lunch one day with a cousin who was holidaying about an hour away. We revisited places that we used to take the children to, and watched young couples with buggies and all the other paraphanalia, and smiled to each other with a knowing 'that was us 20 years ago' look. We relaxed and 'stepped out of normal life' for a week.....it was fabulous.

Now back, the house is still standing (daughter had friends to stay for a few days before going off to Barcelona herself) and the cats have been fed, and we are back in the real world, but revitalised and relaxed. In fact the book I read on holiday was The Book Thief, which was really good, and certain bits of the story keep coming back into my head..........mostly reminding me that people count, not things, and that words are more powerful than weapons, and that if you have the chance to kiss someone you love? ... just do it.......as often as you can.

7 comments:

She Means Well... said...

Nice to have you back.

Andy said...

Glad you both had a great time, sunshine and not much to do is a winning combination in my humble opinion.

Steve said...

Sounds like a much needed break and food for the soul...

libby said...

SMW...thank you so much.
Andy.....hit the nail on the head there mister...ps how is pa doing?
Steve.....abso-effing-lutely...back to reality now but the week just flew.

Curry Queen said...

Ah bliss....I'm so jealous - our Portuguese holiday was only in August but feels like a lifetime ago!

Trish @ Mum's Gone To ... said...

@Libby - Bum, my comment disappeared again and I can't remember what it was!
Like Curry Queen, our Portuguese holiday seems ages ago.
Where were you exactly?

libby said...

CQ...I haven't been back a week yet and it seems so long ago!
Trish.....At the Agua Riverside in Parchal...it was lovely....hardly busy, clean, hot, and away from the more resorty places, which over the years we have been to before...but as we always had villas this was our first hotel there and it was great....were you in Martinhal?..thought of you as we drove to the fort (again!) and back...