Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Knackered old lady..........

I am throwing in the towel and making an appointment with my GP.
I am  so reluctant to do this as I try to keep away if at all possible but I have promised the mister that I will go soon.....he has been valiant listening to me, rubbing in pain relief gel, and buying ibuprofen and paracetamol, but even he thinks that I need to see the doctor now....and as sympathetic as the mister is and always has been, it must be a pain in the backside having your wife constantly whining 'it huuuuuuurts......'  with regard to another piece of her knackered old body causing aches and pains. That is the problem really.....that if I say out loud what the problem is I sound like a loony old biddy with hypochondria.......but 'it huuuuuuurts!'.
What worries me particularly is that I have never not had painkillers on an almost daily basis.........either strong ones for a migraine, or the habitually in my bag paracetamol and ibuprofen (along with a gel)......and for what you might be asking? ... well 20 odd years ago it was for RSI and tendonitis and problems with my shoulders.... treated with steroid injections which did the job, but regularly over the years there have been flareups where my hands hurt or my arm hurt and over recent months, I have had weeks of pain in my leg, and before that pain in my back, and before that in my arm.....as if some little group of pain cells is working its way around my body, setting up camp and then moving on after a week or so.....and I know I am not imagining it and I know that it bloody hurts and that I can't sleep and that I wish with all my heart I could have green spots all over me or a gash that could be seen so that it would be obvious that I am fed up of aching and feeling sluggish all the time . I am 57, and if God spares me, have a few more years to go yet (at least 8 of which will be at work) where I will continue to use a keyboard, and a pen and paper.....I have to pull myself together or get sorted in some way.
Once, and for a very short time I was on anti-depressants.....long ago in the horrible 'wanting to have a baby' years when it seemed that the whole world could get pregnant but me. And in the years between now and then there have been times when some sort of chemical alteration to my brain would have been a good thing......we have had our ups and downs.......but now......I can hand on heart say that, although I am by nature a worrier, I am happier than I have been for years....I have my family, and a job and a home and am not, as far as I am aware, depressed.............maybe I should try acupuncture or visiting an osteopath or something....or failing that just shut the fuck up? SIGH..........................

9 comments:

Nana Go-Go said...

I can`t give you any medical advice but I can empathise with you since I'm the same age!Talk to your doc first and see what he comes up with - there`s no shame in that. I could go into reams about the Menopause knocking ten bells out of your body but you probably know all that already!The trick is to know your limitations - I had to stop going to Ceilidhs and being chucked around the room like a 20-year-old because I could hardly walk the next day, although I can still get my groove on when necessary!Good Luck with the doc. x

Steve said...

I agree. Talk with your GP. Let him do his tests, see what his recommendations are. A cure might be miraculously easy to come by.

Macy said...

This is when we need a good doctor - one that can listen as much as prescribe treatments.
Good luck with that one.
I've just started doing yoga and pilates, on the basis that at least this way I can know why it's hurting.

Trish @ Mum's Gone To ... said...

I know a good doctor - and he's always in pain with his joints and moaning about it. He would be very sympathetic and tell you that he takes painkillers regularly too.
Best of luck with yours!

Marcheline said...

No, don't give up. AND - you're not old. Yes, see a doctor.... but be aware that a doctor's answer to anything is usually going to be drugs.

I have a gentle suggestion to make, and I only do this because I've seen it work for my husband and myself, and have read loads of letters written by other people who have been helped by it. And from what you write, I know it would help you.

It has to do with what you eat. The things you put in your body are the tools that it uses to repair damage, to get energy, and to get you through the day. When you're not eating what your body really needs, it breaks down and you get chronic pain, acid reflux, migraines, and loads of other ailments.

I'm talking about eating "paleo" style, also called "primal". You don't have to join any club, or buy specially packaged food. It will actually save you money at the grocery store. You do it yourself, and it's so, so easy... and delicious.

My husband and I started to eat this way because of his recent diagnosis with type 2 diabetes, and our "middle age spread". He's lost 57 pounds of fat and I've lost 30 so far. There are lots of folks who are doing it because of the symptoms you describe, and getting great results.

Robb Wolf's website has a testimonials section where regular folks who have "gone paleo" write in and tell about how it's helped them. Here's one that I think you might like to read:

http://robbwolf.com/2010/12/10/real-life-testimonial-meds-anxiety/

If you are interested in checking this out, come over to my blog and leave me a comment. I would be happy to let you know how to get started, and to share some websites with yummy recipes.

Whatever route you decide to take, don't give up! Keep trying until you find something that works for you.

Curry Queen said...

Depressing isn't it when you feel every creak and twinge? Hope you get some joy from the GP.

About Last Weekend said...

The only time I took major painkillers for an accident, they stopped working after three days and I had to triple the dose. Scary. Still don't put up with pain, it's depressing...

libby said...

Thanks everyone for posting and I hang my head in shame and apologise for such a 'poor me' post!..On reflection I have decided to try zumba and pilates and maybe the Marcheline diet! and drink more wine and move my ass a bit more!!

Kelloggsville said...

Glucosamine, cod liver oil, warm wheat packs, cold ice packs, gentle exercise, morning stretches and see a doctor to check you are just an old crock and not really poorly. Seriously I'm the master of pain relief from achy body parts at the moment but my son, in time I can teach you the masters way to grump about it...!