Monday, August 22, 2011

Grown up or not it makes no difference......

Earlier today in the supermarket, I was minding my own business and wondering why anyone would pay £2 for reduced blueberries when the fresh ones were £1.80, when I became aware of a chap standing very close to my trolley and seemingly staring at me...... I glanced up ready to give my 'I'm sorry is there a problem?' look to realise that my son was smiling at me......I had only seen him a few days ago and yet it genuinely took seconds longer than it should have done for me to recognise him. Strange isn't it that seeing someone where you don't expect to see them can discombobulate your faculties? I was so happy to see him I gave him a big hug and a kiss and then realised he was with a colleague...they had nipped in on their way to somewhere else for a snack......over my sons shoulder I could see this other chap smiling away and I do hope his smile was a 'my mum would be just the same' kind!

Then just a little while ago I checked my emails, and my daughter had sent me quite a long message from Korea......no word for a couple of weeks so it was lovely to hear from her......and looking forward to hearing her tales when she comes home at the weekend.

I have been having a clear out and shredding lots and lots of stuff that has been sitting in boxes for years. The sort of stuff that you think you should keep and then realise one day that you don't need to....you never will need the receipt for that alarm system in the house you used to live in....or those bank statements from the 80's.......but you just cannot get rid of all of those birthday cards that the kids made for you ...all those funny little drawings and school bits and pieces that you surely only found in the bottom of a school bag a few years ago? Well I can't get rid of them, so school reports and certificates and Easter cards and birthday drawings and postcards are all in one neat box now labelled 'family stuff'.  Sentimental? me? you bet.....




4 comments:

Trish @ Mum's Gone To ... said...

I'm so pleased you gave your son a big hug in the supermarket, and in front of his colleague too haha!

I also have a collection of box files with most of Rory's 'stuff' squirreled away. That's what mums do.

Steve said...

It's good to keep that stuff. My nan was a great horder and after she died I found all the old pictures I drew for her as a boy. It was a real comfort to have them back again and to realize she'd treasured them so much.

Marcheline said...

Good! Keep the real mementos, scrap the bills and parking tickets!

Macy said...

I have boxes of family stuff in the garage - and that's from only one kid!