Monday, August 15, 2011

Billy Spokeshave...........

When I was at Grammar School, quite a few of my friends lived in Stratford upon Avon, and I have fond memories of spending lots of time there.........and over the years seeing different plays/concerts there and tootling about on the water.........I had my first underage drink in a pub near the old cattlemarket..and one of my first early teenage kisses in a bus station.....aaaahhh.
There have been lots of visits there with parents and kids, and now that we are in the 'on our own again' stage of life, the mister suggested a run out there this morning...'cos y'know, when you are our age you start doing old fogey things like buying a thermos flask and 'having a run out somewhere mother'..........

So we did.......and here are the pictures......

.


  I was assured that these cobbles on the right  are the exact cobbles where William Shakespeare trod.....mmmmm.........
What do you think? If I had stood there long enough could I have channeled the Immortal Bard (Baird?) and written some good stuff?

Now, now.......no rude responses from the cheap seats please.................

6 comments:

Steve said...

Shakespeare would have killed for shoes like those...

Kelloggsville said...

As long as it's not beard you'll be ok!

Macy said...

Clarks if I'm not mistaken!

I got a similar pair.... :)

Trish @ Mum's Gone To ... said...

My parents loved 'going out for a run' and just the mention of it made my brother and I sulk - yet it was always enjoyable once we'd arrived. Hope your flask was nice and hot.

Marcheline said...

’Tis not alone my inky cloak, good mother,
Nor customary suits of solemn black,
Nor windy suspiration of forc’d breath,
No, nor the fruitful river in the eye,
Nor the dejected haviour of the visage,
Together with all forms, modes, shows of grief,
That can denote me truly; these indeed seem,
For they are actions that a man might play:
But I have that within which passeth show;
These but the trappings and the suits of woe.

Hamlet, Act I Scene II

***

I would be enchanted, honored, and excited beyond words to walk the same cobbles as the man who wrote "Hamlet". I would probably lie down on the street and close my eyes (with a lookout standing by, of course).

Nota Bene said...

That new theatre tower...ugly as sin, but I'm told the theatre itself is fabulous now....