Monday, June 13, 2011

Now if you remember.....

I love me a list........sometimes.........anyhoo

As I have been up since 5.30 (I know...weird or what) I have been reading blogs and have been looking at people's favourite films.
So that got me thinking about how it is possible to list stuff....music/films/books etc., after all I am fickle and
I am a creature of mood and blow and bend this way and that, so thought that it would not be possible for me to do a 'top ten'..some days I like something... other days? eeehhh not so much........

But I am going to give it a go.......

The Unsinkable Molly Brown......want to be Debbie Reynolds....rich or poor....beautiful and talented
Broadcast News.....want to be Holly Hunter...but wish the ending was different..
Waterloo Bridge.....so so romantic.....
The Paleface.....love Bob Hope...there is one scene that just makes me laugh out loud.

Its a Wonderful Life.......do I need to give a reason???

A Tree grows in Brooklyn.....always identified with Francie....a feel good film really even if sad
When Harry met Sally.......funny, lovely, just good.
Now, voyager.......Bette Davis.....what a woman....in fact almost any Miss Davis film

Cinema Paradiso.....the  scene at the end with all the clips? makes me cry each time...
The Heart is a lonely Hunter....fell in love with a young Alan Arkin
Forrest Gump....great soundtrack
Singin' in the Rain......just fantastic
Some like it Hot..........could watch it over and over again
Funny Girl/Lady.......Barbra can sing......
Let the right one in......original version....really good film of a genre I don't usually do
Breaking the Waves........slightly odd and just has lots of 'makes you think' bits
Color Purple......wonderful
Das Boot.....atmospheric (of course) and well paced
On The Waterfront......ooooh Marlon.......
Godfather.....classic..with so much that is good about it I would be here all day
Disney - Beauty and the Beast/Dumbo.........still singing the tunes after all these years...
Little Miss Sunshine.....Alan Arkin again......fabulous uplifting film
Night of the Hunter.....scary Robert Mitchum...atmospheric
Novecento........makes me want to go to Italy.....Gerard Depardiu and Robert de Niro.....mmmmm
Once upon a time in America......gangsters.....boyhood friends.......schmaltzy but great
Rebecca......Max de Winter????? maybe he started me on my 'would like a handsome rich posh man in my life' quest.....now given up on of course.........but boy oh boy he is gorgeous in this (and the old Pride and Prejudice)
Schindlers List......had such an impact 
The Seven Samurai......I think this was the first subtitled film I saw..violent yet bonding men...strange beasts..
Spartacus......uplifting....and who hasn't said 'I am Spartacus'!
Pride and Prejudice......new one..... just for that stuttering 'I love love love you' in the mist at the end.
Eastern Promises......one sexy russian!
This is England........Shane Meadows makes the middle of England cool.......great soundtrack/film/memories of that time
Sweet Charity........Shirley Maclaine in a Bob Fosse??? with a choice of endings (2 versions) ..got to love it

Random Harvest.....have watched it over and over again......just love it...Greer Garson is so beautiful
Streetcar named desire.......can you feel the heat? can you?
Trains, Planes and Automobiles.......such a good film.....
The Departed....exciting, Matt Damon....
Crossing Delancey.....shouldn't like this..it's not that great...but love the idea of ending up with a man that you think isn't the man you wanted.....Bubbie knows best.
The Passion of the Christ......my son took me to see it one Easter and I sobbed and sobbed ...maybe I attach that memory to the film more than the film but either way...great film


and obviously others that I will remember later in the day........probably saying out loud 'oh my goodness..I cannot believe I missed out.......' never mind though eh?

If there is anyone still reading then hello!...thanks for sticking with it...that was 10 minutes of your life you will never get back but I do truly appreciate it!!!
Let me see what your list looks like.

11 comments:

Steve said...

Bladerunner.
Lord of the Rings.
Amelie.
Enchanted April.
The Others.
True Grit.
The Unforgiven.
Strictly Ballroom.

libby said...

Well sir...I did leave Bladerunner off the list as its my husbands favourite film ever and we have watched it to death, so I did think about it....and of course Amelie should have been on my list...

Kelloggsville said...

Actually quit a lot of mine on are your list. I'd add Hello Dolly - it makes me laugh.
The Last Kiss
High Society
Saving Nemo
Monsters Inc
Paschendale
3 Mules for Sister Mary
and the Ingrid Bergman one whose name I can never remember where she is with all the children in Nepal or somewhere similar
Muppets Christmas Carol (Family Tradition)
GroundHog Day
LOL - I could reel off crap films I love forever!

and The Kings Speech!

CATHERINE DANIEL said...

OMG - so many that would also be on my list. Never will forget the first time I saw 'Night of the Hunter' as a kid - v. scared!! And Random Harvest - sob sob. And Little Miss Sunshine! Will do my own similar list soon - good idea! Not getting up at 5a.m. to do it though!

Nana Go-Go said...

Electra Glide in Blue
Annie Hall
Shoot the Moon
The Electric Horseman (and anything with Robert in it!)
Dances with Wolves (yes I know but I loved it)
Bull Durham (especially the kitchen table scene)
Thelma and Louise
Anything with Barbra in it
O Brother Where Art Thou
Anything with Andy Garcia in it
The Commitments
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
The Bridges of Madison County
The Guns of Navarone
Apocalypse Now
and a gazillion more!

libby said...

Kellogsville...Hello Dolly! of course that must be on my list...and was the Bergman film The Inn of the sixth (7th?) happiness?
Catherine....didn't plan to be up so early...but these light mornings and the birds singing and needing to pee all colliding at once get me out of bed....

libby said...

Nana...Electra Glide... what a blast from the past! Loved Shoot the moon and O Brother too.
I forgot to add The Way we Were!!! how could I?

Curry Queen said...

American Beauty! I love the theme, the music - everything!

About Last Weekend said...

Yes loved Holly in Broadcast News and Meg Ryan in anything, though now her trouty pout renders her unwatchable

libby said...

CQ...always think of AB when I see a plastic bag blowing about!
ALW...I only liked the Meg Ryan character in WHMS..I agree that she is an odd cove and looks a bit strange now...

Moannie said...

That is a list and a half...I have a feeling that a list of films you have not enjoyed would be considerably shorter.