Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mother love....

My son is 26 today.
In years gone by there were parties.....  all his classmates playing in the garden or entertained by a local magician, or a swimming trip or a camping sleepover, or bowling.....followed by a cake and the singing of happy birthday...with candles being blown out and a wish being made.......
My son is a grown man now. He is tall, and gentle, quiet and kind with a way of making sense of things in life that bewilder me...he has a job, a love in his life and friends and has not lived with us here in this house for some years.....but we speak every week and meet at least fortnightly.
Tonight we are all meeting for dinner....and in a few weeks we will 'house swap' ... we will  spend the night in their flat and they will take over our house with a group of friends as a 'going out/catching up with Uni., friends/birthday get together'..... I am quite looking forward to me and the mister trying out somewhere else for the weekend.
Thinking back to 26 years ago, I was having my first, longed for child.
I was scared and yet had never felt more alive in my whole life.
There is no cake now, but I might buy one on the way home from work and find a candle from somewhere so that he, or maybe I, can relive those boyhood times.....he never knew that everytime I watched him blow out his candles and make a wish I made my own secret wish in my heart ......and so far the fates have been kind..all my wishes have been granted.

8 comments:

Steve said...

May you both have many happy returns of the day.

auntiegwen said...

A very happy birthday to your boy, may all your wishes continue to come true xxx

Trish @ Mum's Gone to... said...

Gulp - oh Libby that was lovely and brought a lump to my throat. It was my boy's birthday yesterday (1 March) and I bought a cake, candles, kiddy sweets and crisps so we could have a tea party with the inlaws when he came home from school. I love him so much and want him to have a happy life - I can't believe 15 years have gone by and I imagine when it gets to 26 I'll wonder the same again.

muummmmeeeeee...... said...

Mother love....nothing quite like it x

Andy said...

Oh, no man is ever to old for a cake with a candle stuck in the top. Happy Birthday to your lad.

Marcheline said...

Make that no man OR woman.... I would be sad with no birthday cake, and I'm gonna be 45! Many, many months from now, but still...

libby said...

There were candles...there were wishes made.....some things just have to continue, no matter how old eh?
Thank you all for calling by and 'chatting' - t'interwebnet thingy is a marvellous thing....

Deer Baby said...

Ah this is lovely - and sorry I missed the date! It's reassuring to know that even when they have grown up and left the nest they still want to spend time with you and see you. You are obviously a lovely mother! I can remember every single one of my son's birthday (11) and my daughter is 3 so a few more parties to go yet.