Wednesday, March 30, 2011

just how I like it.....

Today at http://stickyfingers1.blogspot.com/ the theme is hair.
Oh people.....hair, the bane of our lives.
We want it long or short, curly or straight, blonde or auburn........in fact we usually want it to be the opposite of whatever it is.
I don't think that any woman I know ever accepts a compliment on her hair, she just pulls a face and pulls her hand through it and says 'oh this is sticking out/too short/greyer than I would like!'
I am just the same. My hair has been brown/black/blonde/red and sometimes a horrible mixture of all of them at some time or other......and it is only now, in my fifties, when my hair is thinning and going slightly 'pubic' around the hairline that I have found a hairdresser who meets my needs - local, quick, cheap and does what I want (oh how classy am I?).

When I met my mister, my hair was 1/2inch short all over and bottle black. His previous girlfriend had very lovely girly hair, long and blonde and beautiful...I am surprised still that he liked me. Yet I should know, especially after all this time that our hair is not us...our hair is not all we are.....and when my friend lost her hair during her treatment a couple of years ago, she had a really fabulous wig....but we all liked her better without it.

All this talk of hair is making me want to change mine again now......maybe blonde for the spring? or red? or dark brown?......mmmmmmm off to Boots for the 'do it yourself box' maybe!

11 comments:

Andy said...

Can't wait to see the new look, bet it won't be as short as mine (when it gets to 1/2 inch it's time for a visit to the barber's) :)

Steve said...

I had very long hair all through my late teens and twenties and getting it cut short in my thirties was oddly liberating. Our hair may not define us to others, but it does effect how we see ourselves.

Kelloggsville said...

I think your hair looks a lovely colour. When my hair looks good I feel good, Steve is right I think.

auntiegwen said...

Your hair always looks lovely to me xxx

neverfoundtheplot.com said...

Your right I am never happy with my hair either!

Curry Queen said...

lol at "going slightly pubic around the hair line" it conjures up a delightful image!

Marcheline said...

I'm pretty much committed to having long hair - it just works for me. And I love dyeing it black and then red/purple at the roots. My chameleonitis hits with bangs. I grow them out, then I cut them off again. Grow them out, cut them off.

As for your hair, I'm voting for black cherry!

The Dotterel said...

What's a pubic hairline?! And do I really want to know...?

libby said...

Pubic around the hairline? Short, greying and curly!!

Deer Baby said...

Wow your hair is shiny!! Really shiny - and a lovely colour. I have the same hair always. Dullsville.

diney said...

Your hair looks gorgeous - and yet I know how you feel as I'm always going for a new style and colour! I find it makes life exciting to experience different looks.