Monday, November 29, 2010

I remember....

My husband proposing to me.

Standing up and shouting 'come on son...don't give up...keep going..' from the balcony of a swimming pool when he was last in a race and there was silence everywhere......

Needing a poo when we were out in the middle of nowhere as children and having to squat down in the corner of a cow field.

Sitting with friends and drinking lots of guinness and laughing one long afternoon in a cosy pub in London.

Going to Mass alone one time when I was young and single and unhappy....

Having a panic attack during our climb of Snowdon...we were almost at the top and I suddenly could'nt climb any further...I was suddenly terrified of movement and unable to stop shaking.....my beautiful son slowly helped me to relax, breathe and just move one foot in front of the other again.

Looking at a small beautiful painting in a gallery in LA and wondering about buying it....had just enough money left from our holiday spends.....decided against it and have regretted it ever since.

Walking to school.

Lying to a priest about why I was'nt in Mass the previous day.....and being chastised.

Looking at the mountains from the window of Milan airport and being really really tired but drawn to the beauty of the snow topped peaks.

Trying skiing...once...I was 17....I hated it.

A flaming sambuca drink in an underground London restaurant.

Losing my virginity.

Reading, reading, reading....to and with my daughter....so many books.....and the little girl in my 19 yr old beauty pointed to a poster in the book shop recently and said excitedly 'oh mum do you remember the tiger who came to tea?'....

I do remember...I do.

7 comments:

Nana Go-Go said...

And thank goodness for all those memories, Libs. I recently bought `The Very Hungry Caterpillar` and `Each Peach Pear Plum` for my grandaughter and it only seems like yesterday I was reading them to my two who are now 28 and 23!Time does indeed fly but it`s great to be able to pull all those memories - proves that we`ve been there! What a globetrotter you`ve been too!

Steve said...

The swimming pool one... now that is what mum's are for!

auntiegwen said...

I bought "The Tiger who came to tea " again for EBD last Christmas, it was her favourite childhood book.

Kelloggsville said...

What a powerful read. Green Eggs and Ham.

Marcheline said...

I also tried skiing at 17. And hated it. I was wearing brand new designer jeans, and left bright blue ink streaks a-la-my-derriere all the way down the mountain. Wish I'd have stayed in the chalet drinking cocoa. Oh, well.

Olga said...

Do memories change as we age? Are they getting sweeter or more bitter?

Nana Go-Go said...

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/crochet-snowflake.html

seen enough real snowflakes to last for quite a while!